Ep 1 - Chapter Two

I step out and point my gun directly at Marlene's head and everyone turns round and stares at me.

"Marlene." I say with an obviously fake smile and a scoff.

"(Y/N), what a pleasure to see you" She replies with heaps of sarcasm but her face is stone cold.

She turns to Joel and the woman. "Are you working with her or some shit?" She asks the two.

He turns to face me and I study his face.

A skill I've picked up on throughout the years is the ability to read people just on the their face and this is helped me to get out of so many tricky situations.

All I can see is grief really. Could be off a lot of things as this world is a shit hole but I guessed he probably lost someone close to him. To be fair who hasn't these days?

"No.. you know her?" He replies with caution in his voice. "Unfortunately-" I cut her off with a quick scoff "-this is (Y/N)"

"We're kind of in the middle of something (Y/N), so maybe come back later." Then you could just hear her mumble a "If Marlene's not already dead."

"Woah. And you are?" I say, she looks back at Joel and he gives her a small nod. "Tess, and you still haven't told us why you are here."

"I'm here because Marlene over there has tried to get rid of me to many times to count and I'm a tad sick of having to try not to be brutally murdered every day." I answered while staring at Marlene and waving my gun at her.

"Okay we both know that's mainly FEDRA or it's my guys who doesn't know who you are. I've left you alone since all you do is kill every single firefly you come across." She replies with an annoyed tone.

I give a shrug while smirking smugly slightly.

I was interrupted by Joel kicking the knife away from Ellie.

"Jeez, she's like 10, calm down." I speak loudly to Joel, my him still raised at Marlene's head.

He gave me a rude look then Marlene goes back to speaking.

Only about 20 seconds later he kicks the knife away from Ellie again.

"I said to stop it." I said my voice rising slightly

"Right darlin', this has nothing to do with you." He speaks with a slight accent.

He points the gun directly at Ellie sitting down on the floor with her arms up looking terrified.

"I said to leave her fucking alone!" I shouted stepping closer to Joel and pushing him forcefully into the wall behind him with a slam, making sure to keep my gun aimed at his head and the other hand pinning him to the wall. He groans in pain and shouts at me that I'm being unreasonable and to calm down but that just makes me even more angry. I feel my hands starting to shake and my breath getting heavier.

Seeing a girl about my age at the time of the outbreak helpless like that really sets me off and triggers such a response from me.

"(Y/N) stand down. It's okay." Marlene says calmly as her hand reaches out towards you slightly. "It's okay." She says slightly quieter.

My breath starts to calm down and I stop shaking as much and I regain my thoughts.

Yes I hate the entire firefly ideal but I've known Marlene for longer than I've known anyone in the QZ and us two have formed a sort of understanding for each other. She knows about my past and my trauma so she knows why I just had a sudden outburst moments earlier.

I let go of Joel and he rubs his head where it hit the wall and it's bleeding slightly.

"Good thing Marlene's here to save you or you would be fucking dead right about now" I say while leaning towards him slightly.

"She means it you know." Marlene says sternly to Joel.

"Damn well I do" I reply sternly.

I let go but not without pushing him back against the wall while you turn and move away from him.

But you could not help and see Joel's cheeks go slightly red and Tess looks at him with one eye brow raised and a smirk.

"And for the record, Marlene, I don't need your fucking help." I add sternly with an annoyed tone, and I know it's clear to everyone else in the room that me and Marlene have a complicated history.

Word count- 721 words

Date finished- 15/4/23 or I guess technically 16/4/23 if you wanna be specific bc it's past midnight 💀