Chapter 12

It had been a few months since Keiko, Aoi and Yoko had reached Japan. They had settled in Meguro district. They were not rich but they were still much better off than in the Philippines. And at least they had money and a place to live. As usual, Keiko and Aoi were arguing again.

- At least tell me what job you do ! If I can't help you, I at least want to know what you do!

- You don't have to worry about that, I have the situation under control. Well, I'm off, see you later!

He left quickly before she could ask him any more questions.

- He's a pain in the ass ! He never wants to tell me what he's doing because he's afraid I'll worry, but that's exactly what I'm worried about !

- But... You love him, right?

- Me ?! Loving him ?! No, you're wrong, I don't love him that way! But I really don't have a good feeling about his job. A little job can't make that much money.

- Do you think he would do something illegal?

- I don't know, I just... have a bad feeling.

Aoi withdrew and Yoko started to think about the question. What was Keiko doing ? How does he earn this money ?

It was at this moment that her head started to spin, her vision became blurred. Little by little, she began to see a shape. A man from behind with a gang uniform that had the initials B and D written on it. When he turned around, she saw his face. It was Keiko.

She blinked and looked as if she had woken up. Aoi was leaning over her face and looked worried.

- Are you alright ? You fainted for a few minutes, I was worried.

- Aoi ! I know what Keiko is doing. He has no job, he's in a gang ! I can't prove it to you but I had like... a vision ! It's happened many times before and most of the time it's the truth.

- You don't need to prove anything, I found this in his room.

She held out a gun. But what was Keiko doing with a gun ? Did he ever use it ?

- I'm home!

- Okay, then you can explain what was that gun doing in your room, right ?

Keiko looked panicked and tried to come up with an excuse, but he realized that he couldn't lie to them anymore.

- All right, I'll explain. I'm a member of the Black Dragon gang. We had just arrived in Tokyo, we had nothing, no money, no shelter. It was just to support ourselves. But they went too far. The leader, Shion Madarame, is a real scumbag. He doesn't hesitate to brutalize everyone, even women and children. When I wanted to leave the gang, he threatened... He threatened to hurt you two. So I was going to shoot him tonight, once and for all, hence the gun in my room.

- Are you crazy ?! That's suicide ! Imagine if he catches you, you're the one who's gonna die !

- They have no idea. Everything will be fine, I promise. Have I ever failed a promise?

- No, but this is something else, you're risking your life here !

- Yeah, but if I don't kill him, we all risk our lives.

- Damn it, I know you won't listen to me anyway. But please take care of yourself.

- Don't worry, I'll be back in an hour. Take care of Yoko.

He took the gun and went out.

****

Two hours had passed since Keiko left.

- I can't take it anymore, I have to go and check ! Come on, Yoko, I won't leave you here alone.

They went out and looked for Keiko, in the night, all over Meguro. They then came to a small alley. There they saw a long mass lying on the ground. They slowly approached it and as they got closer, the mass took the shape of a human being. It was Keiko who had his back to them. They tried to wake him up and when Aoi turned him over, she saw that he had a hole in his chest. He had been shot through the heart.

Aoi put a hand in front of her mouth and tears started to flow. She shook Keiko violently.

- You told me... You told me you would come back! You promised me ! You lied to me, Keiko ! You promised me...

She fell to the ground. The sound of a gunshot. The bullet was gone. Shion Madarame was right behind her.

- It might not have come to this. What a shame !

- AOI !

Yoko approached Aoi who was breathing heavily.

- Aoi, hold on !

- It looks like my time has come too... I want you to promise me one thing, Yoko. After I die, I don't want you to kill Madarame, or try to kill yourself. I know you are strong, you can resist your murderous pulses. Please, promise me, so that I can die in peace.

- No, you're not going to die, you just have to hold on a little, I'll call for help. Please don't leave me alone!

- Promise me... Promise me...

- I promise you but don't die, I beg you.

- Since I have your promise, I feel relieved. My only regret in this life is that I never told Keiko...

Yoko wanted to take her hand but it was cold. Aoi was gone. Yoko began to mourn the only two friends she ever had.

- I hate shooting kids but hey... Stop crying, girl, you're gonna join them right now.

He started to giggle until Yoko turned her head towards him. Her eyes had never been so red. She slowly got up and walked towards him. Madarame wanted to run away but he was paralyzed with fear.

- Do you enjoy seeing people suffer? Do you like it, to see people dying ? Then I'm not gonna be shy about it either. I'll love to see you begging for your life.

She didn't know how long she had been beating him up. She just knew that as long as he was alive, she would continue until he was on the verge of death. Once his life was hanging by a thread, she grabbed him by the collar and smiled sadistically, breathless.

- You're really lucky, y'know ? I'm not gonna kill you but prolong your luck and try never to cross my path again, got it?!

She let him fall brutally on the ground, and took her way back home. Her fists hurt, her eyes were swollen with tears and she could hardly breathe.

She had felt so many emotions in one day. Surprise, fear, sadness, anger and finally joy. The joy of having been able to take revenge on the murderer of her friends. And now she felt loneliness.