03

L A Y L A | K E N N E D Y
20th June 2022

"Careful Layla, don't fall." My mother worried for the millionth time, her boney fingers digging into my arms sharply as she held me up like a rag doll. She lead me inside my childhood home guiding me up the stairs and to my room, I wanted to tell her I wasn't a child and it wasn't like I was dying but I was both of those things.

So, I said nothing allowing her to help me as she panicked over every step I took over showering me with her attention. Pheonix stood in front of me holding onto my school bag as he guided me up the stairs as if I was a stranger in his home.

Once we reached my room my mom helped me into my bed pulling my duvet over my body as she pressed her lips to my head gently. "Are you feeling okay baby?" I nodded my head my eyes narrowing on her perfectly perfected face, how was she so beautiful yet so sad?

My mother always had a business face, she never revealed her true feelings to anyone. Her brown shoulder length hair was always pinned back into a slick bun framing her sharp face.

The silver eyes that always reminded me of charcoal and clouds which would stare up at you with always a hidden agenda, they were almond shaped with long black eyelashes bringing them out.

Her body was long and thin, never aging, once she was referred as my sister to which she still holds. I loved my mum don't get be wrong but I couldn't confide in her.

Our features were opposite and so were our hearts, whereas my mother would do anything to save face I would rather save someone else. Whereas her eyes resembled smoke mine resembled the golden brown rings she blessed herself with.

Our dark brown silky hair was the only thing I had inherited from her, I often hated my thin hair as it never kept a curl. But over time I've learnt to love it about myself, I couldn't see my features similar if my hair was thicker.

I was taller than the average girl which always led to an insecurity, I didn't want to tower over boys however as puberty hit me it had hit the males too. Even though the boys at my school had grown they still either were an inch taller than me or smaller.

Being 5'10 had an advantage of course but it also had negatives. My relatives always told me to go into modelling and whereas that's where my mother shined in life it wasn't something that interested me.

I've always wanted to be an entrepreneur who did a clothing brand for all sizes and makeup for all ages. Of course my father would rather me do law it just wasn't my dream in life.

"I'm just trying to help you Layla, please don't get moody with me." She sighed tapping the side of my comforter before leaving, closing the door behind her on the way out. I guess my illness has reminded her of that.

I reached over to my bedside table and grabbed my charging phone unlocking it with Face ID then looking at my newest message from my best friend since 3rd grade, Diana.

*

Diana
Bro, are you ok?
People are saying you
passed out
at school this morning.
16th June 15:35

Diana
You've not responded,
you ok?
16th June 17:12

Diana
You're worrying me,
message me back when you can.
Love you Lays x
16th June 21:59

Diana
omg Layla
people are saying
you're at the hospital
wtf is going on.
Are you alright????
17th June 09:01

Diana
I'm assuming you're busy
so I'll talk to you
when you come back to school.
Love you Layla,
hope you're okay? Xx
18th June 12:40

Layla
I don't want to talk about it
but I'm fine.
Sorry I didn't respond.
Been busy.
20th June 10:13

Diana
Never do that again
I was worried about you.
20th June 10:14

Layla
sorry ann x
20th June 10:14

Diana
On a brighter side the ice hockey
game is tonight, are you excited?
20th June 10:15

Layla
that's tonight?
20th June 10:15

Diana
Don't tell me you forgot Layla,
this is all I've been talking about
for months!
20th June 10:16

Layla
I haven't forgotten
and I'm still going
but I gtg
my mom wants me.
See you later.
What time?
20th June 10:16

Diana
7pm?
20th June 10:16

Layla
Cool I'll see you there.
20th June 10:16

Diana
See you soooooon x
20th June 10:17

*

For the first time I lied to my friend, guilt flooded through me but it left as soon as it came. I was previously aloud to go to the game but knowing the circumstances now I doubted I'll ever be out of their sights again. At least until the day comes.

I decided to rest my eyes for a bit whilst I waited until the time neared my arrival. A small yawn slid past my lips as I put my phone back on the countertop, closing my eyes and shuffling around on my bed to get into a comfortable position.