Chapter 10

Sienna's POV

The next day, I woke up slightly refreshed. My ass was sore but it was bearable at least. It was the first time in a long time that I had a full eight-hour sleep. Usually, I'd be up late binging some series that Selena recommended then get ready for work on four hours of sleep. How I survived those days were a mystery to me.

After talking to Charlie a bit and getting breakfast, I went straight back into Xander's room to lay on the bed. Of course, I was on my stomach. I watched Netflix from the large flatscreen that he had mounted on his wall.

Around 10 am, Sam came knocking on Xander's door and I opened up to let her in. She refused and told me to meet her in the study to start my "wife" training. She made it sound so serious.

When I went into the study, I sat behind the desk as she listed off the many things that we'd be doing throughout the year.

"I spoke to Xander and he's already assigned a weapons instructor to you."

"A weapons instructor?"

She nodded. "He's going to teach you how to aim and shoot a gun. As well as teach you the basics of handling a knife and what you should do to get out of a situation where you're handcuffed or tied up somewhere."

I nodded along slowly. "That's good to know."

"Today, we're going to start simple. You have to remember the five rules of the family by the time the session has ended. Do you remember any from when I told you yesterday?"

I pursed my lips as my mind flashed back to last night's incident. Sitting on my ass right now had me so irritated.

"Rule number 1, dead men tell no tales."

Sam nodded in approval. "Good. And that's?"

"Loyalty."

"Perfect. Anything else?"

No clue.

I shook my head and she nodded, taking out a small notebook and handing it to me. "Here's a small notebook that I bought. I wrote down the rules and a few other key things you should remember. Go over them and try to commit them to memory. If you have any questions, I'll be right here."

I opened the book curiously and peered inside. "Is that it? I just have to memorize these?"

"I'll also be telling you a bit about the Roscotto's history when you're done. Although, I can't tell you much until after the games are over."

"Why?"

"It's a safety precaution."

I nodded in understanding. It made sense. Anything could happen in a year. It was better to be cautious than not.

I turned my attention back to the notebook and browsed it intensely. Thinking back to Christina's hint about the games, my brows furrowed. Something that our guide said?

I hesitated as I glanced across at Sam, who sat comfortably on the sofa reading a book. Should I test it?

"Sam," I called out.

She looked up expectantly.

"How dangerous are the games exactly? You guys keep saying 'If we survive by the end of the year', does that entail anything specific?"

A knowing smile crept across her lips as she turned her attention back to her book. "Just follow the rules and you'll be alright."

I pursed my lips in thought. Follow the rules. Was this like their code of conduct or something?