1-UP Girl

"Arrghhh" Pauline groaned as she balled up yet another piece of paper. She let out a long sigh and slammed her head down on her desk.

She was writing a song. A song, in honor of one of her best friends. Mario.

Recently, Mario had come to New Donk City. They had a breif encounter, and he told her about his quest, to save his beloved, Princess Peach. They had conversed for a little, when Mario explained to Pauline his worries.

~ Flashback ~

"I-I just-a don't know, Pauline, like, I love the-a princess, but I-I don't think that I can-a make it, I mean, everyone is-a relying on me!!" he vented, breaking down with each word he spoke. Pauline went over and hugged him. "Don't worry, Mario. Don't let those dark clouds swirl," she said to him with a smile. He looked up to her with teary eyes and smiled. "You're my 1-UP girl, Pauline," he told her.

~ End of Flashback ~

Pauline hummed a tune as she drew out another sheet of paper and clicked her pen open yet again. After seeing Mario, she just knew that she had to do something for him. He had been her best friend since as long as she could remember. In the worst of times, they always had each other's backs. Everytime pauline had helped Mario through a difficult time, he always repeated the same thing.

"You're my 1-UP girl, Pauline,"

Thinking about this, Pauline gasped, her foggy blue eyes opened wide with shock. On her sheet of paper, she wrote down that sentence.

"1-UP girl~" She attempted with a smile. She then wrote down those words. After writing them down, she looked down at her paper, then sighed heavily and put her elbow on her desk, resting her head upon her hand. She then turned to her large window, which overlooked New Donk City.

She let out yet another sigh, and stared for a while.

Eventually, she started to doze off.

~ Flashback ~

It was late at night, when Pauline received a text.

Mario: pauline..I need your help,

Pauline: what's up, Mar?

Pauline: are you okay?!

Mario: no..not really

Pauline: Mario..you know you can tell me anything, right?

Mario: yeah..so I guess I can get this off my chest

Pauline: I'm listening..

Mario: well, you know how I went on the Odyssey?  To save peach?

Pauline: yeah...?

Mario: well, at one point, when I saved her from bowser, we were on the moon

Pauline: YOUR ABSOLUTELY JOKING!

Mario: no, I'm not.

Pauline: okay then..continue

Mario: well, after i saved her, Bowser was there too, so then he got on one knee and proposed..and..I don't know WHAT I was thinking, but i....proposed also...

Pauline: 😳

Mario: AND I KNEW WHAT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN, BUT SHE REJECTED ME!!

Pauline: oh, Mar...

Mario: AND I JUST FEEL SO BAD ABOUT IT, BECAUSE THE PRINCESS WAS UNDER SO MUCH PRESSURE AND I JUST MADE IT WORSE!!

Pauline: please, Mar. The princess was under a lot of pressure, but you just made it worse.