Chapter 3

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 03; ʙɪʀᴛʜᴅᴀʏꜱ, ᴄᴏɴꜰᴜꜱɪᴏɴ, & ꜱʜᴀᴘᴇꜱʜɪꜰᴛᴇʀꜱ

𝐃𝐄𝐒𝐏𝐈𝐓𝐄 𝐈𝐓 𝐀𝐋𝐋.
◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤

FLORENCE BELIEVES in funny things called ... predicaments.

Her birthday being one of them.

Although September 3rd isn't her actual birth date, it's the date she was found— by Alice—as a toddler. So, naturally her family celebrates September 3rd as her birthday. Which, she never truly was excited for. Turning 17 was the last thing in her mind, not after the last few days she had been having.

Even so, Alice, Esme, and Rosalie made sure that her birthday was as fun as any other birthday she may have, putting aside the family problem just for today.

Alice had invited the entire family; Irina, Tanya, Kate— even Eleazar and Carmen. She had also invited (much to hers' and Rosalie's displeasure) Lauren Clearwater-Dominguez; Florence's forever best friend. Lauren and Florence had been friends since, well, forever basically. When Alice had brought Florence back to Forks, her and Renesmee became attached at the hip. This led to Jacob spending quite a bit of time with Florence, which led to her spending time with the pack. Meeting Lauren gave Florence a sense of humanity that—before becoming a part of the Cullens— she had never experienced before. And she was immensely grateful for that.

As soon as the extended part of their family began arriving, Alice had rushed and sat down Florence in the middle of the dining room table. Florence chuckled at her, rolling her eyes when Jasper brought out a huge vanilla cake. It was 4 tiered, frosted with a light and sweet strawberry flavored icing. Decorated with a light pink icing, it said, 'Happy 17th Birthday to our Beloved Daughter, Florence.'

The cake was bigger than Florences head, even though there was about 4 people who could even enjoy it. Alice ushered Jasper away after he had sat down the cake in front of Florence, topping it with a '1' and a '7'; happily lighting the candles and smiling.

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Flor—" Alice screeched, abruptly closing her eyes and whispering something that not even the beings with the heightened hearing could hear.

Florence immediately stood up and ran to her, holding her ice cold hand in support. Alice stopped and made a quick glance towards her husband, who immediately grabbed her. Edward frowned, looking at his wife who was standing by Florence, arm around her shoulders.

"What did you see, Alice?" Bella questioned, still slightly concerned. Alice had never reacted like this towards a vision, maybe a little unnerved but not.. frightened.

"Florence.." Alice turned to her all but legalized daughter. "The volturi. I saw you with them. That's all, really." Alice shifted in her stance, rubbing her temples and looking away.

Florence knew she was hiding something, she knew it.

Everyone began to murmur. Lauren ran over to her best friend, grabbing her small frame. "I won't let anyone hurt you, Flor." Lauren said protectively. Florence tried to form a smile of appreciation, but she couldn't do it. Not after watching her mother almost drop to the floor because of a vision she had because of her.

Florence shook her head, slamming her hands on the table. "We go to the Volturi today. We need to figure out what I am. I won't put any of you in danger anymore. Especially if Alice is going to have visions of me. Let's get this over with." Florence angrily stated. Everyone glanced at Carlisle, mainly because he was the one who had connections to the Volturi.

Florence hated the thought of putting her family in danger, especially if she had a way to stop it. She needed to see the Volturi, especially now more than ever. She wasn't going to let them hurt her family, or her friends. Florence wasn't stupid, she knows she wants to do exactly what Alice's vision showed her. However, if Alice's visions about her were going to have that effect on her, Florence would do anything to stop it.

After all, Alice was the one who saved her. She owed her life to Alice, and she would until she was gray and wrinkled, taking her last breath. Alice was her mother in all terms but biologically, and Florence would do anything to protect her.

By any means necessary.

Edward grabbed Florence's bag from her hand, shoving it inside their designated 'family' vehicle. He looked at Florence solemnly, he was worried about what would happen to his little sister. Florence and Edward weren't super close, unlike Florence and Bella. However, he still cared about her. He knew what went through her mind on a daily basis, and he felt as though they were similar. The wanting to be normal; the wanting to be human. He understood that, and he felt for the poor girl.

Florence was shoved inside the back of the car by no other than her best friend, who—of course— sat down right to her.

"Lauren, you really don't have to come. It's too—"

"Dangerous? Unsafe? Yeah, I could say the same for you." Lauren spat at her. Florence rolled her eyes.

"Lauren. I don't know if your mom would be happy with you running into a castle full of human eating vampires. And frankly, I don't really want to be at the end of Leah's wrath." Florence sighed, but a smile formed on her face.

Lauren laughed and shrugged her shoulders, laying her head on Florence's lap. Florence began playing with Lauren's thick black hair, something they've done since they were kids.

Alice and Jasper hopped into the front seats, Alice in the driver seat and Jasper on her right, in the passengers. Edward sat next to Florence on her left side, pushing her in the middle of Lauren and Edward. Alice starts the car and begins driving to the Airport, speeding as usual.

"Edward. Did you take a shower today?" Lauren chuckles curiously. Edward glances at the dark haired girl, suspiciously.

"Cause you smell."

The whole car erupts into bolts laughter, of course except for Edward. Florence's eyes glance over to Edward, seeing him roll his.

"You know, I can read your mind." Edward grins, looking down at Lauren as she stops laughing immediately. A tomato red blush creeps onto her cheeks, as she bursts up from her spot on Florence's lap. She rests her head on her arm by the window, muttering curses towards the vampire.

"Vampires.." Lauren groans.