Chapter 5

chapter 5: compromises

𝐃𝐄𝐒𝐏𝐈𝐓𝐄 𝐈𝐓 𝐀𝐋𝐋.
◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤

"...WHAT?" FLORENCE WHISPERED, IN SHOCK.

"My sunglasses?" She questioned the old vamp, nudging the dark blackened glasses up her nose bridge further. Her eyebrows furrowed, confused—but more so angry? She couldn't comprehend what she was feeling in the moment. Florence had never once looked at someone purposefully, only by accident and that always ended up in disaster.

"Do not be frightened, piccola ragazza. I just need to make sure. You will not cause any harm to anyone." Aro stated, motioning with his hand towards Florence's face. He grinned curiously, as Caius and Marcus slowly inched closer.

Florence bit her lip, and turned to face her family. Alice smiled at her, nodding her head slightly. Jasper just watched, a little confused and also slightly frightened. Florence turned around towards Edward, though she can never read him. His face holds no emotion but a glimmer of anxiety. She turned back towards the old vampires in front of her, them patiently waiting. Although it was obvious they would not wait for much longer.

Florence raised her hands to the sides of her face, gently grasping the only object she knew to protect others. She closed her eyes, slowly removing the sunglasses. She opened her bright chartreuse eyes, looking down at first; folding up her sunglasses and putting them in her pocket. She pursed her lips, confidently raising her head upwards towards the Volturi.

She waited, and waited, and waited—they were not stone. She gasped and a smile broke through her face. A blinding feeling of relief flowed through her body, and a feeling she couldn't yet register. Edward growled, grabbing Florence and pulling her towards his chest. Aro, Caius and Marcus both stepped forward, a look of protection circling their face.

"What the hell?! Alice, did you know about this?!" He yapped towards Alice, eyes narrowing at her ever so slightly. Alice sighed and shook her head.

"No. Well, a little bit? It all depended on whether Flor decided to take her sunglasses off. Trust me, it's good she did." Alice pleaded with Edward, trying to explain. Edward shook his head with annoyance.

"She's 17 years old, you can't possibly expect her to stay here? She's a child! She doesn't deserve the life that awaits her if she stays." Edward yelled as Florence pushed away from him. Hurt scattered across his face and she backed away.