Chapter Eight

The shot sparked against the blackness of the night, the sound ringing her eardrums. Mama's screams were muffled; Clara felt as though she were underwater. Everything around her was a blur in both sight and sound. Except for the vibration in her right arm... except for the color crimson which seemed to swallow her body. Clara's head began to spin like a top on a table. The silhouettes of the townsfolk began to fade. Her body shook. Everything went dark...

Two Hours Earlier

Music in the Oriental abruptly ended as the outlaws sauntered over to the Farro table. Johnny Ringo cooly approached, never taking his gaze much further than Clara. Damn her.

He wanted her. Ringo wanted her more than he ever wanted anything before, and he hated it. And it wasn't like he hadn't tried to get over his desire for the Grady girl because he had.

Johnny paid good money just the other night at the Birdcage. A slight girl, roughly Clara's age–similar enough. That was the one he chose. Even as he had the whore bent over, eyes closed, picturing Clara in that pretty lilac dress, it wasn't enough. It wouldn't be enough. Ringo didn't know why the desire was so great. Perhaps it was the fact Clara didn't shy away from the fear of him as others did. Hell, he didn't know. All Johnny knew at that moment was seeing her on the arm of Holliday rightly pissed him off. He'd pick a fight with Doc if he could.

From the other end, Doc rested his hand on the small of Clara's back, sensing her tension. Holliday had never asked what occurred that Fourth of July night, though he had an inkling Ringo was involved in that ordeal. Passing conversation with Wyatt seemed to confirm his musings on the scenario, and if that wasn't enough, the little kerfuffle at the theatre had sealed his suspicions. Doc most certainly did not like the way Ringo eyed her now. Quickly, he glanced toward Sheriff Grady. They shared a knowing look.

Through the haze of candlelight and smoke, Bill broke the harrowing silence.

"How do you like that? Sheriff Grady's daughter seems to get around. Tell me, Wyatt, she ever sought you out for a private word? Back of the bar, perhaps?"

Clara's face burned.

Ringo must have told Bill about that night in the street. Everything was coming together now, the reason they all whistled at her earlier in the evening. She wished she could disappear. None of this could be happening–especially with Mama and Daddy so close by.

Wyatt didn't respond, opting instead to continue to deal cards. As the saying goes, one shouldn't poke the bear. However, Wyatt was not a bear easily goated. When he didn't bite, Morgan stood for Clara's honor.

"C'mon now, leave the girl alone. No one wants trouble for tarnishing a young woman's reputation."

A few Cowboys laughed, though Ringo grimaced.

"The famous Wyatt Earp gonna arrest us?" One of them mocked.

"I'm retired." The words fell from Wyatt's lips with cold annoyance. No one wanted trouble that evening, though it seemed to follow him whether he sought it out or not.

"Good," Bill smirked. "Real good."

Clara listened to the bated conversation with a rapidly beating heart. Her ears burned with embarrassment yet again, only tenfold for her mother was present. What rumors had been spread about her by these two men before them? What further shame would come to her family because of her carelessness? Clara doubted she'd be able to face her mother after this, knowing she was watching everything unfold like a hawk.

"Clara, darling, would you be so kind as to refill my beverage?" Doc placed a tin cup in her hands, offering her an escape. He winked at her. "That's a girl."