Chapter Thirteen Part II of III

*Read with Caution, consensual sexual content marked with (*) *

News of the engagement soon spread over Tombstone, the happy event announced in the paper the following week.

Holliday-Grady

A ceremony will be performed on Saturday, 29th of Oct,

By Rev. John Daily. Miss Clara Delphine Grady and Mr. John Henry Holliday

Are to be married. The bride-to-be will be dressed in white we are told, with a jacket and

Hat to harmonize. The newlyweds plan to spend a few days in the city

Whereafter they will return to Tombstone, where they will reside.

That small article in the paper meant everything to Clara, who snipped out two; one to send to her family in Charlotte and the other as a personal keepsake. Along with this, letters of congratulations had been arriving in the post, wishing the couple every happiness in the world. After all the pain and suffering both endured, Clara felt light for the first time in ages, so much so that even the night terrors had stopped. Having something to look forward to had been the healthy dose of change that she needed. Taking up the new position at the schoolhouse also did Clara a world of good. She thoroughly enjoyed instructing the children, who had become her North Star, her anchor. All worry seemed to melt away like the snow after a harsh winter, promising new flowers in a field of untapped opportunities. Not even the Cowboys lurking in the town reigned over Clara. She was far too gay.

Louisa, Allie, and even Mattie had been all aflutter with helping their friend prepare for the big day. Many afternoon cups of tea were sipped between the women while thumbing over magazines containing the latest bridal fashions from Paris. The dresses were, of course, far too expensive for Clara to afford, given her new circumstances, but that didn't stop the women from piecing together ideas.

The whole Earp family decided to banned together to create Clara an attire, borrowing materials and ordering fabric. Lousia was the best with needle and thread among the lot, saying her wedding gift to the blushing bride would be the dress. A few weeks before the wedding, Wyatt and Mattie presented Clara with something new.

During one of their planning sessions, Mattie couldn't contain her excitement any longer, saying Wyatt wanted to present it to Clara on the day of Clara's wedding, but she couldn't wait that long. After fishing through the chest drawers in their living room, Mattie returned with a sachet packed with light pink tissue paper and handed it to Clara. As the others looked on in excitement, she delicately opened her gift.

It was a necklace. Blue silk ribbon trimmed with golden thread held a golden circle emblem that dangled from the center. The piece was thin but smooth and warmed to the touch. Etched in the middle of the metal was a bridal bouquet. The opposite side had engraving, which read Clara Holliday 1881, best wishes, W. & M. Earp.

"Mattie," Clara gasped. "It's beautiful... I–I'm sorry, I don't know what to say. I'm touched by it, thank you."

Louisa and Allie agreed it was a wonderful gift. This had Mattie smiling with affection.

"Wyatt can be a hard man, but he was always one for gifts. You know, Doc has asked him to be the best man! Can you just imagine that?"

Clara smiled knowingly. Doc had never mentioned that information to her, but it was hardly a surprise. Clara would have been taken aback if she learned Wyatt wouldn't be Doc's best man.

"In regards to all of that," Clara fondly ran her thumb over her new necklace. "I've had some time to think on it, and well... Louisa? Do you think– what I mean to say is, if I asked Morgan to give away my hand—."