Still the One ((Onesided! Vil x GN!Reader))

A/N:  So, I was feeling nostalgic and wanted to do a song fic based off this song because I still absolutely love One Direction.  Yes, I am one of those people that's still hoping for a reunion and reboot even though it's probably never going to happen.  Slight book 5 spoilers.  Also, no, I will not stop with the Pomefiore angst.  It's my favourite dorm and because of that, I want to make them suffer through angsty concepts I come up with <3  This was certainly a concept that sounded better on my mind then on paper.))

Vil's flashbacks when he was recovering from his overblot were absolutely wretched.  All those countless times where he lost to Neige each individually stabbed into him once more.  However, the one that hurt him the most (as well as the most recent) was when he lost his love to him. 

 He had dated Y/N right before he got accepted into Night Raven College and things went downhill from there.  Vil knew in his heart that it was his fault for not paying attention to them in the beginning and that he should have tried harder to make time for them, but, he still didn't. He knew he was too young to balance affection while trying to keep them a secret. He thought that the consequence of them leaving him was enough, so, why was it fair that he had to witness them kissing Neige after Royal Sword Academy performed in their dress rehearsals?  How was it fair that he had to watch the two hold hands and do cute couple things, that he just knew fans would eat up during interviews?  How was it fair that it was with NEIGE of all people?  Why couldn't it be him?

The winners were announced for the VDC and it hurt Vil even more when Royal Sword Academy won.  It didn't help that Neige's speech was all a huge shout out to Y/N for being an amazing partner and supporting him throughout the whole entire journey.  Vil let out a sigh, it had been at least three years since he dated Y/N, he should be over them.  So, why did it still hurt him when he saw them laughing along with Neige as fans teased the two for being the perfect fairytale couple?  Finally, the fans calmed down and Neige went off to go look for the dwarves, leaving Y/N to make small-talk with Epel and giving Vil an opportunity to make things right.  Of course, he wouldn't try to steal Y/N away from Neige, he was above that.  However, if they left Neige for him. . . He wouldn't be opposed to that idea.

He approached Y/N, "It's been a while."  Y/N stopped their conversation with Epel,

"And I was perfectly fine with that.  Do you need something?"  They asked.  Vil nodded,

"Look, I just-"  He abruptly got cut off by Epel,

"Huh?  Am I missing something here?  Should I go?"  He asked.  Y/N shook their head,

"I just have history with this narcissistic jerk.  You can stay if you want."  Epel looked back and forth between his dorm leader and acquaintance,

"Can I know the history?"

"Long story short, I dated this diva, he didn't give me any affection and no, it wasn't just him denying cuddles a couple times.  He would ghost me for days and sometimes we would even go months without talking.  I get that he was busy with work and the relationship had to be a secret, however, just a simple 'good morning' text once every two months would have been nice."  Y/N ranted. 

 Epel looked towards his dorm leader, waiting for him to try and explain himself but, there was. . . Nothing?  He quickly excused himself to not make things so awkward and went to go mess around with Ace and Deuce.  Vil waited until Epel was out of earshot,

"Just, hear me out."  Y/N rolled their eyes but gestured for him to continue talking, "So, I know we're not on the best of terms, especially with the way you spoke to Epel about me. . .  But I guess. . ."  Vil swallowed his pride, "That was my fault, especially because I practically did nothing in the relationship."  There was an awkward silence and Y/N saw Neige running towards them.  The two whispered to each other for a bit before Y/N turned to face Vil,

"Look, I've got to go.  If you have anything else to say I'll be at *Insert random hotel and room number*"  With that, Y/N ran off with Neige and the two walked hand in hand while occasionally stopping for photos with fans or answering questions from reporters.

The next day, Y/N woke up to knocking on there door at 11:00 am.  It certainly wasn't Neige as he was at a fan signing that started at 9:00 am would last until 1:30 pm.  They smiled to themselves, replaying the memory of Neige begging them not to come because they needed to sleep.  He still sent texts about missing them every time he got a break.  Although Y/N could say that Neige could be a bit over affectionate at times, they knew that he meant well and that he actually cared about them.  It was different from when they were with Vil. . . Wait, Vil?  Right!  That was who was knocking on the door.  So, he still did have something to say  after all.  Y/N hesitantly flung open the door, still wondering if it was a good idea to let this meeting happen.  

Vil stood in the doorway, internally face-palming once more about how younger him just let Y/N walk away and admired how they could still look this good despite their bedhead.  He cleared his throat, "I know you've moved on, however, you should know that I cared about you back then and. . . I still care about you now. . . I'm well aware that these next words are going to sound wrong, however, I was wondering if we could at least treat each other more civilly." Y/N thought those words were physically painful for Vil to say but still hesitated,

"Look, it'll take some time, but maybe. . . Just maybe, we can become friends."  They explained.

Vil internally let out a sigh of relief.  He had a chance to win back their good side and he was going to do everything in his power to make sure he could do so.  To others, it seems way too much or too extra.  However, to Vil, this chance was everything.  He could finally patch things up and remain by their side.  It would be alright to him if they were friends, he just wanted to make sure they could smile at him once more. Once again, he cursed himself for being so stupid and letting Y/N leave him. Why did he still have to still love them?  Eventually, Vil left because he had some photoshoot he had to get ready for and Neige came back,

"How did your meeting go?"  He asked.  Y/N sighed,

"Horrible.  We're supposed to hang out again tomorrow. . . I know it's childish but, I certainly don't want to meet someone who ignored any effort I was putting forward."  Neige gave them a tight hug,

"Awwww, it's alright!  He's a good person!  If you want, after the hangout, we can go out to dinner."  Neige offered, Y/N nodded,

"That sounds nice."  With that, the two got ready and got in their separate beds and went to sleep.  Well, at least, Y/N tried to sleep.  They just looked over towards where Neige was sleeping, feeling both anxious about the meeting and wondering about how they got so lucky to have a partner like Neige.

The next day was just Vil trying to make Y/N admire and respect him again.  He was telling stories about his acting career and opening up more about his past, just hoping that Y/N would eventually forgive him.  He also wanted Y/N to verbally tell them that they forgive him, instead of him having to guess whether their still mad or not.  Eventually, Neige came and picked up Y/N, leaving Vil alone with his thoughts.  He swore he tried to go find others, however, he always remembered the start of their relationship and how they seemed like such a perfect match and that always ended up wanting back that affection once more.  

The next day, he went to go visit Y/N again.  This would be the last day before they went back to Royal Sword Academy.  He could still see that Y/N was hesitant to see him and the regret about not trying hard enough cut deeper. Vil mentally cursed himself, he knew that he should be glad that Y/N moved on, however, in his mind, he still loved Y/N very dearly, so, it still hurt.  For the rest of the day, he still continued to try and show Y/N that he changed and that he genuinely cares about them.  He was true to his word that he wasn't giving up and he was going to stick with it.  

Eventually, the group graduated and Y/N and Neige got married.  Y/N and Vil were finally on good enough terms for him to be invited to the wedding and it hurt him even more.  He watched as Y/N and Neige were standing at the alter, saying their vows and for the last time, Vil mentally cursed himself for his immature self.  He tried his best to convince himself that his feelings were platonic, but, they kept on resurfacing.  He knew that for himself, there was only one person he loved:  Y/N Leblanche.