Three

The years that passed were peaceful, with Gisela and Uhtred welcoming their son young Uhtred nine months after arriving in Coccham, and they welcomed their second child, a daughter, Stiorra, almost three years after. Liv and Finan were tiptoeing around their feelings for each other, which were obvious from the first meeting of the pair.

Sihtric had fallen for a whore in Winchester, adamant that she loved him, which was the topic of discussion as they wandered through the woods of Deccat, looking for Danes, who were selling Saxon women and children as slaves. "I swear, she says she loves me, and I love her." Sihtric said, as Finan snorted, "What she loves, is your silver." He retorted, as Sihtric growled silently, as Liv shook her head, "Is that the name of his cock?" Clapa joked, as Liv hit both Finan and Clapa over the head.

"Enough!" She spoke, as Uhtred then spoke up, "I want you all to focus on the task at hand, not Sihtric's love life." He retorted, as Liv climbed a tree to observe the others from. She dropped down, as she unsheathed her sword, as she began fighting the Danes, who belonged to a man formerly known as Guthrum, who was now Earl Æthelstan. Liv watched as her father comforted a crying girl, before they returned back to Cocham, as Liv took her sheath off her back, as she unbuckled her breastplate, placing it down on her bed, before she walked down to the river, as she stripped herself free of her leather under armour, shoes and shift, which only fell to her thighs, as she moved into the water, having found a secluded section away from prying eyes.

Finan was stood with Sihtric, after cleaning himself in a barrel of water, as they were stood by the gates, as they saw Alfred, Odda, and priests arrive, "Lord King, welcome to Coccham, Lord Uhtred is in the Burh." Finan spoke, as Odda and Alfred acknowledged the Irishman, as they headed to the Burh, followed by Sihtric, Clapa and Finan.

Gisela had been looking for Liv, who still hadn't returned from bathing, as she looked at the Irishman, "Can you try and find Liv? Her sword and armour are on her bed, but we don't know where she is." She explained, as Finan nodded his head, as he left, going to find her, as he wandered along the river, he found her, as she was slipping her shift back on, as he cleared his throat, "Liv, the King is here, Lady Gisela is asking for you." He told her, as she looked at him, as she finished tying her under armour, as she slid her boots on, as she ran her fingers through her flaming hair, which was wet and wavy, as they walked towards the burh.

Alfred looked at Liv, as she walked in, "Who is this?" He asked, as Uhtred spoke up, "My daughter. Liv, who I believed to be dead, she was being held in Dunholm by Kjartan, along with my sister." He said, as Alfred nodded his head. "My daughter is getting married, and I am apprehensive about it." The king admitted, as Gisela spoke up, "I pray her marriage is happy." She said, as Odda looked at her, "The idea of marriage isn't to be happy." He said, as Gisela smiled, "Then I am fortunate." She spoke, as she looked at her stepdaughter, "What took you so long?" She asked, as Liv blushed the colour of her hair, "I lost track of time, I was bathing." She said as Gisela shook her head with a small on her face.

They were walking by the dock, when Clapa ran to them, informing them of a ship, as they walked, Uhtred found Erik, brother of Sigefrid, who informed him of a dead man named Bjorn.

That night, it was raining, when Finan rode his horse outside the Burh, as Uhtred walked out, wondering why his friend was there, "Lord, might I have a word with your daughter?" He asked, as Uhtred looked at him, "What do you want to have a word with her about?" He asked, he had feeling that Finan wanted to take her for a ride, but it was raining and Liv was finally out of her armour, in a dress that Gisela had made for her, having begged her to wear a dress, so she wasn't always in her armour, as Finan saw Liv who was clutching her cloak in her hands, "Well, erm, Liv, would you like to come and ride with me on this fine evening?" He asked, as Gisela looked at him.

"In this? You are out of your mind, Finan." Gisela spoke, as Finan sent a smile her way, "It's good weather, the rain is falling straight down, well slightly to the side." He spoke, as Liv ran out, "The weather's just fine, it's hardly raining!" She shouted, as he pulled her up behind him, before he galloped out of Coccham.

They came to a hill that overlooked Coccham, as they sat down, after dismounting Finan's horse, as Finan looked at her, "Are you in the habit of riding off in the rain with men?" He asked her, as she looked at him, "It was the best way to make you stop asking and leave." She teased, as he let out a laugh, as she did the same.

She looked at the sun as it set, "The sun set is beautiful." She spoke, as Finan was looking at her, as he spoke, "Nach bhfuil chomh alainn leat." He whispered, as she turned her head to look at him, "What does that mean?" She asked him, as he smiled softly, "Beautiful." He whispered, as she smiled softly, "Do that, standing on your head and I'll be impressed." She said, as he looked at her, as she blushed, before she turned back to the sunset.

They soon arrived back in Coccham, as Finan dismounted, before he helped Liv down, as she smiled at him, "Liv, come in now." Gisela called, as Liv turned to enter the Burh, she felt Finan grab her hand, as she turned to look at him, as he reached into his shirt, pulling out a cloth, as he pressed it into her hand, as she looked confused, before he sent her a smile, before he led his horse away to the stable, opening it, she smiled as she saw a thistle, before she headed inside the Burh.

The following morning, they set off to Winchester for the wedding of Aethelflaed and Aethelred.

Liv kept her horse, Arlo, close to Finan, as Hild sent a knowing smile in their direction, everyone could see it, even if they couldn't yet see it themselves.

Gisela had reprimanded Uhtred, for his reluctance to answer Sihtric, who wished to marry the alehouse whore Sigdeflaed, whom he claimed to love. Uhtred looked at his wife, as she shot a smile over her shoulder at Finan and Liv, who were laughing together.

Finan looked at Liv "Are you impressed yet?" He asked her, he had been telling her stories of his time in Ireland, as she looked at him, "No, why? Should I be?" She asked, a teasing smile on her face, as he let out a laugh, as she shook her head smiling.