Eight

⚠️TW: Gisela dies⚠️

Peace had lasted for four years, and in that time, Liv and Finan had welcomed a child; a daughter. They named her Sigrid, after Liv's grandmother.

"A good morning Lord?" Came from Osferth as he saw Uhtred walking, as he looked at his daughter, "Ready the horses. We leave at night fall." He told the young Monk, who nodded his head, as Sihtric got into trouble with his wife, for wanting to go to battle. Liv was braiding her daughter's hair, the locks unruly like her mother, but dark like her father, she truly was a mix of them both.

"We will be back soon, and you will be good for Hild, you will be safe. I will see you soon, my little warrior." Liv spoke, kissing her daughter's head, before she left, mounting Arlo, who was next to Finan's horse.

Finan then came and said his goodbyes to their daughter, before he mounted his horse, before they left for Alwetun. Once they arrived, they reached Alton and Osferth was being made to distract the Danes which were camped outside the front of the church, who all laughed at him, "Who are you? What do you want?" One of them asked him, as he held his hands in front of him, "I would like you all to surrender or I will smite you." Osferth answered, as the Dane who originally spoke, spoke up again, "Smite? What is smite?" He asked, Osferth who answered, "Well it's a word, isn't it?" He asked, genuinely not believing how stupid these Danes were, he was glad, at least, that Uhtred, Thyra, Sihtric, Gisela and Liv weren't this stupid, "A word from the Holy Book. It means slay or kill. I will kill you." He finished, as the guards laughed at him, not believing that a monk with a sword was anything dangerous.

"Smite." Osferth muttered, looking over his shoulder, as Finan and Uhtred shared amused smiles from where they were hiding, "You will smite all of us?" The same guard asked, as Osferth nodded, "Yeah, most. Some of you might run away, hopefully." He added quietly, as the guards stepped closer to him.

"I've got, I've got a sword. A very sharp sword. But I'd prefer it if you'd surrender." He spoke, hoping that Uhtred and the others would come out soon, otherwise he would be a dead monk.

Sihtric launched a knife at one of the Danes, before Liv threw her chakram, watching as it lodged itself in the throat of one of the warriors, the fighting was soon done, Liv grabbing her chakram, cleaning it on her pants, before Finan looked through the window of the church, seeing Skade, and a strung up monk. "Haesten says she is of the devil." Uhtred spoke, as Finan leaned against the bricks, "Then it might be an idea to bar the door and burn the place down." He said, as Osferth nodded in agreement, "To Bloodhair, she will be priceless." Uhtred told them, as he used his sword to open the door, entering the church.

They entered seeing dead priests, Finan gripped his cross, as they looked upon the blonde witch named Skade, "You are Skade?" Uhtred asked her, before her guard unsheathed his sword, as Uhtred pointed his finger at him, "You! You will do nothing except go to your lord. You will tell him that Uhtred of Bebbnaburg has his witch." He ordered, before Skade spoke, as she stepped forward, a heart in her hand.

"I knew it was you." She spoke, her eyes never leaving his face, as Uhtred kept his eyes on her, "There will be a ransom." He said, before Skade spoke once more, "No. You willl go to my lord and you will tell him that from this moment forth, Uhtred of Bebbanburg is cursed. The witch holds his heart in her hands and she will squeeze it and break it." She spoke, as she squeezed the heart in her hand, before letting it drop to the floor with a squelching thud. She ordered her guard to go, before she stalked towards Uhtred like a predator stalking its prey, "It is you who is my prisoner now, Uhtred." She spoke, as Uhtred remained where he was, "Seize her." He spoke, his voice calm as though, he hadn't been threatened a few seconds ago, as Liv felt a sick feeling rise in her stomach, Gisela was Uhtred's heart, just as she and Sigrid were Finan's.