Five

Following the return from London, Uhtred had been banished back to Coccham, where he remained. Finan and Liv had grown closer with Finan currently sat with Uhtred and Gisela, as he looked at them both. "I want to ask you both for your blessing to court Liv." He spoke, as they looked at him, "Was her riding with you that night, not you courting her?" Uhtred asked, as Finan had the decency to blush.

"It was Lord, but I wish to marry her, but I won't ask her, unless I have your blessings." Finan spoke, as Uhtred nodded his head, before he looked at Finan, "You have my blessing, when you can prove you do not need alehouse whores to warm your bed, when you tell her why you were enslaved, she deserves to know the truth." He spoke, as Finan had to admit that Uhtred had a point, whilst he hadn't slept with any of the whores since admitting to himself that he loved Liv, he hadn't proven himself worthy yet.

Liv smiled as Finan sat with her as they feasted, in celebration of Liv's nineteenth birthday, she was pulled away to dance by Osferth, who she saw as another brother, as Sihtric and she were raised as siblings, as Liv taught Osferth how to dance.

Whores kept trying to get Finan to leave with them, but he resisted, only having eyes for the flame haired shieldmaiden, who looked at him, as he sent her a smile, as he moved to her side, as he began dancing with her, after Osferth had gone to sit down.

Finan had managed to pull her away, as they ran through the wood of Coccham, before they got to a clearing, as Finan looked at her, "I never told anyone why I was enslaved, except your father." He began, as she looked at him, silently urging him to continue, "I had a wife and children, my children were killed by my brother, because he believed I loved his wife, and so he took my wife as his second wife, and sold me to slavery." He told her, as she looked at him.

"So you were enslaved, because of jealousy?" She asked, as he nodded, "I was, but I realise that she wasn't right for me." He spoke, as she looked at him, as they stopped walking, "I met someone else, who makes me feel alive." Finan spoke, as she let a smile grace her lips, "Is that what you call a proposal?" She teased, as he looked at her, "I love you, Liv, always have since the day I saw you, I want to marry you." He said, as she smiled, "Marry me, Liv." He whispered.

He slowly moved towards her, as she wrapped her arms around his neck kissing him, as he spun them slowly, "Is that a yes?" He asked, as she nodded, "Aye that's a yes." She whispered, as he picked her up, kissing her, his arms around his waist, as she pulled away, smiling.

The following day, Liv was doing chores, as she was carrying a basket of furs, when Finan sidled up next to her, "Tonight. Hild has agreed." He spoke quietly, as she looked at him, "Tonight." She agreed, as Hild had agreed to wed them, agreeing to meet them in the clearing of the woods.

That evening, Liv left, meeting Finan by the gate, as he pulled her onto his horse, as they rode to the meeting place, to meet Hild. Liv thanked Hild, as she took the bundle from her, as she went behind a tree, changing into the wedding dress, it was simple, as she took the embroidered handkerchief into her hand, before she walked out from behind the tree, as Finan smiled, he held a piece of his clan's tartan in his hand, it would be used to bind them together.

Finan handed the piece of fabric to Hild, who wrapped it around his and Liv's hands, as they looked at each other, "I will love you my whole life, you and no other." Finan spoke, as Liv handed him the handkerchief that she had embroidered the thistle on, as he looked at her, "And I you; you and no other, forever." She whispered, before they knelt, as Hild blessed them.

Following the ceremony, they went to the secluded spot by the river, where they made love until the sun rose, before they returned to coccham, the fabric which had been used to bind them, was safely tucked in the top of Liv's dress, as she headed into the burh, and to her room, where she change into her armour, tucking it away in the top of her leather under armour, as she fastened her breast plate.

She knew that she and Finan would have to keep it secret, especially if her father had refused to give his blessing until Finan could prove himself.

Liv saw the banner of Mercia, as she rolled her eyes, knowing Aethelred was going to be here soon, alongside Aethelflaed, who she liked,but she thought the girl timid.