Adolescence (Riddle x Fem!Reader)

This is talking about the struggles of growing up with a best friend of the opposite gender and some suggestive things may be said.  I have tried to water it down, however, some things I couldn't soften or find a way around.  You have been warned.))

There was no doubt that Riddle and Y/N were close.  She was the only friend his mom actually approved of.  In fact, his mom even introduced the two. ((Although it was probably for arranged marriage purposes.))  The two would often play together, recreating scenes from the storybooks that Y/N brought over and then pretending to study when Riddle's mom walked into the room.  They always managed to sneak under her radar, after all, Riddle's mother was pleased to see how enthusiastic the two were about "studying" with each other.  Overall, Y/N improved Riddle's dull childhood by a lot and they continued to grow closer, one could even say they were attached at the hip.  However, the two began to grow up and when they were both ten, the duos parents started setting boundaries between the two, much to their displeasure.  Distraught, the two began working on a way for things to return back to normal, without any of these rules which they found unfair.  They just wanted each other.

The two were at a ball as their parents often enjoyed the formal setting.  However, the fancy attire, the food, the music and even the lighting seemed strange to the pair as their parents have forbidden the two to participate in dancing.  It was something about  Y/N's chest developing, which suddenly made her a young woman who was too old for child's play?  The two didn't care.  They just wanted things back the way they were.  The two dancing the night away in each others arms for seemingly until the end of time.  Why must their parents have torn each other apart from their endless dance they promised each other they'd one day hold?  

After the ball, the two went to the washroom, of course keeping the door open as per their parents rules.  The two took turns combing each others hair and ridding it of knots.  It was something they'd done for a while as they both couldn't reach behind them when they were younger.  However, the two made the mistake of looking into the mirror.  Both Riddle and Y/N remembered when they were five.  The parents let them sleep in the same bed to keep the nightmares away from each other .  They often fell asleep holding each others hands from an old superstition that their dreams would connect.  However, the faces staring back at them in the mirror were different.  Their faces were now rid of any baby fat and were now elongated.  Some areas of their faces even had tiny red dots.   Y/N could hear Riddle whispering about something and realized that his voice was starting to get deeper.  "Hey, Riddle?  What are you thinking?"  She asked.

Riddle sighed, "The mirror is lying, right?  There's no way we're turning into adults!  For lying, this mirror deserves to be shattered!"  He said, reaching up to punch the mirror but accidentally knocking over a small castle decoration the two had secretly hid together.  The two watched as the small decoration shattered, silently happy that their parents were busy talking downstairs.  However, a part of them shuddered, realizing that they were in fact growing up and the end of their playing would come to an end. Y/N carefully uncurled his fingers and inevitably, their palms were pressed together.  Before, the duo's hands were practically the same size.  However, now as they gazed at their reflections in the mirror once more, it was clear that Riddle's finger tips were slightly longer than Y/N's.  Riddle tried his best not to cry, "It's all a lie. . . Right?  We have so much to do before we grow up!"  Y/N shook her head and the two sobbed into each other's shoulders for a little while.

The two went downstairs after cleaning up their mess and discovered a shocking surprise, "We're separated when we sleep now?!"  Y/N yelled, causing glares from both sets of parents.

"It's to make sure that nothing. . . Indecent happens when you both sleep."  Y/N's mother tried to reason. 

"Will. . . We at least be in the same room?" Y/N asked.  The adults all shook their heads and Y/N looked at Riddle, who looked absolutely crushed.  So, they were growing up after all.  However, both of them still wouldn't believe it; they just wanted to play "Knight and Princess" during their independent study time or comfort each other when they had nightmares.  

Riddle helped move Y/N's stuff over to her new bedroom.  The both always had a spare set of everything at each others houses because they slept over every other day.  Once everything was arranged and organized neatly, Riddle was trying not to cry.  "Good night."  He managed to whisper and walked towards the door.  Y/N leapt out of her bed and caught Riddle's sleeve.  He turned around, took her hand and kissed her knuckles.  The two often did that while playing and it was meant to be a comforting gesture, however, it made Riddle even more determined to try to find a way around these rules and Y/N even more upset.  

"You turned off the light.  I'm scared of ghosts"  Y/N pointed out.  Riddle immediately ran over to the light switch and turned them back on and sighed, 

"Is there anything else you need?"  He asked.  Y/N was in the middle of punching her pillow, hoping that this was all a bad dream and when she woke up, everything would be how it was before.  Riddle knew that Y/N wasn't afraid of ghosts, in fact, she looked like she was going to cry.  Desperately trying to comfort her, Riddle tried to initiate a roleplay again, "You say you're afraid of ghosts?  I didn't know you were such a baby, my princess.  However, never fear!  I'll show up later this night to ward off any ghosts."  Y/N stopped punching her pillow and turned to look at Riddle with a smile.  She gave a small nod, acknowledging that she heard that Riddle would be coming back and went to sleep.  Riddle exited the room and shut the door behind him, trying to plan out how he was going to sneak past everything.  Luckily, all the adults were heavy sleepers, but, he still wanted to be quiet just in case.

Riddle went to Y/N's room during the middle of the night, unbeknownst to all the adults that tried to tear the two apart from each other.  Y/N grew excited, "We can find ways around these rules, right?"

Riddle thought for a moment, "We have to."  He assured, hugging Y/N who was still under the blanket.  Although it was one night apart, he still missed the familiarity and warmth she had while sleeping.  Eventually, he forgot about trying not to cry to comfort her and let it all out.  After calming down for a bit, Riddle locked the door, so at least if someone came to check on Y/N, he could easily escape through the window with little worry.  He sat down in a near by armchair, "So, any ideas about how to return things back to normal?"  He asked.  Y/N shook her head and it looked like something was bothering her.  Riddle stopped thinking, "Are you okay?  You look a bit off."  Y/N immediately began to sob,

"You know how we promised we'd tell each other everything?  Well, I never was scared of ghosts!  That part was a lie.  I just wanted you to stay with me!"  Riddle stood up and went to hug the young girl,

"It's alright, I knew.  We'll find a way out of this. so I'll be by your side once more."  Riddle reassured.  Except, now he was feeling uncertain.  Would he really find a way to break away from these rules?  He supposed that if Y/N tried to lie about the ghosts so the two could stay together, he could lie and fill her with false hope.  

The clock seemed to stop as the two continued to hug each other.  It had been a while since the two had a long, direct hug like this.  Usually, their parents would only allow side hugs and they would break it up as soon as the two started to hug.  The pair's hearts were racing, knowing that if they were caught, there would be major consequences.  Still, they continued to hug and even made a little game to see how long it would take to synchronize their heart beats.  Neither of them dared to move as they both believed they were each other's knights who were trying to protect each other from the dreaded tears threatening to spill from their eyes.  

The two never found a way to break past the rules and slowly got used to them.  Their childish dreams were now gone as they slowly grew up and forgot all about them.  The two eventually did get married, however, their friendship seemed unfamiliar and strange,  There was nothing the other person could do to fix the holes in their hearts that came from their childhood dreams being extinguished.  So they just lived on, no hopes, no dreams, just each other.  Years passed by and they slowly adjusted to not having those rules once more and their childhood dreams came rushing back to them.  Yes, both of them thought they were stupid, however, they were both glad they could dance together again, as the princess and the knight.