Chapter 7

Teague yelled as he got up dancing around. Lilly looked up at the bright sky seeing nothing for a second as her eyes adjusted to the bright sun. "It smells so fresh and clean up here." Maverick said, taking a deep breath.

"You know why?" Lilly asked, standing up. "Because we've been in a cave for almost two weeks?" Teague asked.

"No. Look, I think we're in a jungle." Lilly said slowly.

"Oh no, this is bad..." Maverick said standing up. All around them were tall jungle trees with vines hanging off the branches, soft green grass and patches of mud in between, and berry bushes off in the distance, along with tall mountains. The air was crisp and warm, the sun shining brightly.

"Well... maybe there'd be a village? Like in the world traveler series where Tammy and Blaire stumble across the small city in the taiga when they are actually looking for their puppy." Teague said.

"Yeah and then what? They give us directions home and then we get to learn how to ride horses!" Lilly said sarcastically.

"How about Lilly and I go and explore...We'll leave a trail of rocks to find a way back. Kinda like in Hansel and Gretel. We can see what's out there and if there is anything we can use. It's about ten o'clock so we have a day to explore. I guess we'll be gone for an hour or so?" Maverick said, already gathering some stones.

"Yeah, and I'll stay here with Haley," Teague said in a rather annoyed voice. Lilly and Maverick gathered stones and then set off north, dropping pebbles every 4 steps they took. The dangers they could encounter risked their chances of getting back. By noon Lilly and Maverick were running faster than they could and as they entered a little space where they found Teague gathering a pile of wood and making a little safe space for Haley.

"A village!! Teague! Haley! A village!" Maverick said, leaping over a bush. Teague turned around confused and then realized what they were shouting, he grabbed the bag and then ran to meet Lilly and Maverick.

"You found a village?" He asked. "Yes, it has houses and people and it is in a really nice area. Come on!" Lilly said. "Wait, what about Haley? She can't walk. She won't even open her eyes." Teague said, "We will carry her." Maverick said. "For an hour?! Maverick..." Lilly whined. "Come on, it won't be that bad." Maverick said. Maverick and Teague lifted Haley onto their shoulders and they carried her like a dead person in the old days, while Lilly led the way.

They slowly made their way through the jungle, admiring the beauty, and making sure Haley was comfortable. They could hear Haley wince from time to time. Soon, they came to a cliff that overlooked a small village. They spent an hour climbing down the cliff because it was almost impossible to get Haley down.

Soon they made it to the bottom and they could see a wooden arch and several wooden houses. They saw that there were twelve brown houses, with green roofs in a circular form and several campfires in the center. Between the little houses, there were little booths with food, jewelry, and some clothing.

A stream ran behind all the houses and The little village was surrounded by a tall stone fence. "This place is so cool!" Maverick said. A few women were walking back and forth carrying clothes in their hands, there were also several men standing around talking quietly and several kids were playing in a patch of sand.

"It's so clean...and quiet here." Lilly whispered. Suddenly a girl pushed them into a bush and stood in front of them.