Chapter 15

"Oh, thank you, C, LB!" Lilly said again. She gave them a hug and then Maverick handed his present to her next. Lilly opened the box to find the beautiful backpack. She picked it up and ran her hands over the smooth leather. There were two side pockets and a front pocket. There was also the main inside which was held closed by two black leather straps. On the inside, there were cloth pockets. "Oh, Maverick! It's beautiful!" Lilly exclaimed. "How did you make it?" "Well...Lb showed me how to stitch together the thick leather, and C was the one who got and cleaned it. It's really from them." Maverick said shyly. "Oh you know you did all the work, he pieced it all together, sewed it, and helped me clean it, just a bit." C said happily. "Well thank you." Lilly said. "Open this one!" Haley said excitedly, handing Lilly a small box. Lilly opened it then the little brown rabbit popped its head out. "Aww... Haley, it's so cute! Where did you get it?" Lilly asked in a squeaky high voice. "Teague and I caught it a couple weeks ago, I think then C and Lb trained it. He knows the sit, stay, come, eat, no, jump, attack, and stop commands." Haley said, jumping around. Lilly looked surprised, then looked up at C and Lb. "We had a rabbit, well three, and we spent a lot of time training them, it's not that hard." Lb said. "Guys, I don't know how I could ever thank you for this. You are truly the best friends in the whole world." Lilly pulled them in for a hug, then she picked up her rabbit and said, "What's his name?" "Jasper" Haley and Teague said in sync. There was a little rumbling in the distance and some dark clouds were rolling toward them. "Let's eat the cake quickly, then we should gather everything up and put a protective coat over the teepees. And they did just that. Soon the storm came. There was thunder and lightning, the wind was howling and the trees were fighting to stay on the ground. The 6 friends huddled together as the wind blew the hide -that made their tepee- all around. The clouds were darker than night and it seemed as if the sun had died. Lilly held onto Jasper, and Maverick clutched to Lilly, fearing he'd be blown away. C and Lb were next to them and Haley and Teague were behind. C got a glimpse of the dark sky and saw a lot of dust rising into the air about 40 feet from them. "TORNADO!" C yelled Frantically they all moved around trying to get into a safe position. They were squeezed into the little teepee and it was impossible to move. "C! What are we doing?" Lilly yelled as the wind drowned out her voice. "What?!" C answered. "What are we..." a strong gust drowned Lilly's voice and knocked all of them over, sending them crashing into the wall of the teepee. As all the animal skins and thick wooden sticks fell on top of them, the tornado came closer and closer sucking them in. Spinning around and around in violent circles, their ears ringing, the oxygen seeming to be low. "Maverick! Haley! C! Teague!" Lilly called. The tornado drowned Lilly's words, as they kept violently spinning in circles. After a minute or so they were brought back to the ground, as the tornado left them and slowly died away. The 6 friends, who were shocked, bruised, and dizzy, sat on the ground, covered in dust, with their hair a mess, and their bodies aching. "Happy...birthday...Lilly." Maverick said slowly. "My...ears. There is a ring. What an awful ring!" LB cried. They all just laid back and closed their eyes. They slept the rest of the day and all through the night. The next morning, C was the first to wake up. She looked around now that her brain was more focused. The trees looked as if they had been cut in half, there were some dead animals and lots of dust and debris. There was nothing left of their camp, and all of Lilly's presents were gone.