F-O-U-R

Chapter 4: Hiring

Your POV

There had been a whole lot of cowboys and cowgirls applying to work at the ranch. Rip and I were scouting them out. One quickly drew my attention, she had somewhat short pink hair. The way she held herself; she knew what she was doing.

Without a doubt, I watch as she wrangled the small calf. I turned towards Rip. He seemed to have been watching her to because he had an amazed look in his eye. She was definitely going to be working with us.

"You! Pink hair! Come here!"

Rip never was the nicest when it came to saying things but it gets people to listen to him. So I guess it works. She turned her horse and trotted over to where we were standing.

"What's you're name?"

The woman lifted her hat and spit something out onto the ground. She looked up at the two of us and smirked. The others were confused when she said, "Teeter."

"What was that?"

"Tee-ter!"

"Peter? You're name Peeter?"

"Do I look like my fucking name is Peter? You skunk haired motherfucker!

They must not have heard or know what a Texas accent sound like. I could understand her perfectly fine but I guess learning what accents sound like really does pays off.

"She said Teeter, dipshits."

The boys looked over at me with a shocked expression. Not because I called them dipshit but because I could understand what she said. They really looked stupid if I'm being honest. Then again they always look stupid.

"You can understand her?"

Lloyd seemed very impressed with me but it's not that hard. I mean all you really have to do is open your damn ears but I guess men can't do that right. All these men know how to do is lose to a girl in poker.

"Yep."

"Hire her."

With that Rip pat me on the back and left. Probably to go talk to my sister who was over yonder. Who am I to judge? I just really hope they end up finally sealing the deal soon. It's getting ridiculous. Seriously, Rip needs to grow a pair as ask my sister to marry him before I do it for him! And he won't like it!

"Well, I guess you're hired. Welcome to the Yellowstone Ranch."

Time skip

"So you're a Dutton? What you doing out here with us?" Teeter asked me as her horse trotted up next to mine. I looked over at her for a split second.

"Despite what you may think we all do something around here... besides I can't leave..." I say, I looked down at my chest. The thought caused the scarred wound to burn.

That's another reason why Kayce and I were so close. We were both forced into getting the brand. Our father was against having us throw away the ranch. Now, I understand why. So many want to take it away from us. Anyway.

He had decided to brand us, much like he had done to Rip. Now, you have to be special and earn the brand. But once you get it, you can't leave. If you do, you get killed. That's how it works. The only one who has gotten out alive is Kayce. Well... there's one other but he's long gone.

"What you mean by that?"

I looked back up at her and shook my head. The look of confusion and curiosity only grew from that point.

"I can't tell you... but maybe you'll find out? If you're loyal to my family... and this ranch..."