07. Quagmire

2 x 05 - Kill or Be Killed

"Are you sure he'll even want to listen to you?" Rosalie questioned Stefan as they walked towards Mason Lockwood

"Are you sure he'll even want to listen to you?" Rosalie questioned Stefan as they walked towards Mason Lockwood. "I mean, our brother did stab him yesterday."

Stefan sighed at the mention of Damon's foolish act of violence towards the werewolf. "It's worth the try."

Today was the Mystic Falls Historical Society Volunteer Day, and the park was buzzing with residents of the city who were ready to help the community. Mason Lockwood was taking boxes out of the trunk of his Jeep when he noticed Stefan approaching him, followed closely by Rosalie. "Stefan, right? The youngest Salvatore?"

"The nice one," Stefan said, making Rosalie scoff amusingly. He wasn't wrong, she and Damon could be mean, but he didn't have to say it. "The one offering an apology."

"Not interested." Mason frowned and shook his head slightly.

"Look, my brother acted impulsively." Stefan tried, but the man wouldn't hear it.

Mason scoffed. "You think?"

Stefan kept his composure. "If you and Damon keep at each other's throats, somebody innocent is going to get hurt and I don't want that. You have family here so I can imagine you wouldn't want that either. So what do you say we just quit, uh, the whole alpha male fighting thing and call a truce?"

"I made that same offer to your brother. He turned it down with a knife." He raised a finger accusingly.

Stefan acquiesced. "He made a mistake. I'm here to make sure that neither one of you makes another one."

Mason's gaze hardened as he decided he had had enough. He grabbed one of the boxes he had just been unloading and walked past Stefan. "Tell your brother to watch his back." He snapped.

Right before the werewolf passed by Rosalie, she grabbed his arm. His eyes met her cold and menacing ones. "Well, I assume he only has to worry about that on a full moon. Otherwise, you're not as strong, am I right? Or you would have killed Damon by now." The woman retorted.

Mason's frown deepened, and his heartbeat picked up its speed. Every time he had seen or interacted with Rosalie Salvatore, she had been so enthralling, calm, and collected. However, as she stared up at him now, she was frighteningly intimidating without even having to raise her voice.

"You're a lone wolf, Mason, and you're up against two vampires and a witch." She declared. "I don't think Damon is the one that needs to watch his back."

The man's jaw clenched at her words, and he looked down to evade her piercing stare. Mason knew she was right: he had no chance against the Salvatore siblings, especially in his human form. He hesitated slightly before speaking once more. "If he comes at me..."

"He won't," Stefan assured, extending his hand for a handshake. Mason looked at his hand for a split second before he agreed to shake it. The men gave each other a nod, and Mason walked off.