OBX Paradise on Earth

"Outer banks paradise on earth"

Paradise- a state of perfect happiness; the ultimate idealistic place; the supreme abode of the just. There a multitude of definitions which explore the idea of Paradise, with beautiful synonyms and descriptions...

Yet none of them describe Outer Banks.

OBX is no different than anywhere else, despite the underlying message carved onto the wood suggesting otherwise, it's not somewhere more superior, fair or welcoming. No.

So, although that slogan is a hoax, the fatigued sign which it's supported on, yet goes unnoticed, is actually representative of this whole goddamn island.

Kooks and Pogues.

Paradise in the shape of sickeningly huge houses painted pristinely white with freshly mown lawns, columns climbing up high not to support the house but a symbol of prestige and power. Pool houses which could house a million homeless shelters wiped down by a suited up butler tending to an empty bar. A maid cleaning a freckle of dust on the kids Burberry coat. Silk cushions imported from god knows where so they can get a good nights sleep.

Finally, private gates barracading out any unwelcome to their luxuries because god-forbid they let anyone else get even a glimpse of paradise

get a glimpse of Figure 8

kook life

it's foreign to me.

So maybe the rich fucks who plastered that slogan onto the sign were to some remote correct, maybe OBX houses some form of paradise. But the worn out sign, the tired, the backbone of OBX society, the majority, do not live in paradise.

We live on the cut.

Worn out roads with potholes leading up to old fish shacks in the shapes of homes with overgrown grass enclosing around it and flimsy piers sticking out into the marsh behind them.

Home of the working class,

The lowest of the food chain, people who make a living off busting last minute shifts, running charters or any other form of income which we can get our filthy hands on to support their family or addiction habits.

-

-

Okay maybe that was a little bit exaggerative but you get my point. We are Pogues, lowest of OBX life, the throwaway, the forgotten fish. Want an opinion on something, we will tell you, but it will never be accounted for. So it has some downsides. But the upsides? We are forgotten about. Ignored and neglected. So we can do whatever we want, whenever we want, with zero consequences.

I think?

Okay, so get to know the crew.

Kiara, or Kie as we call her. She's a rich kid actually, supposed 'half-kook', her parents own the 'wreck' which is a total moneymaker with the tourists, (they do this insane seafood salad) and she lives on the rich side of the island. She's the most caring soul I know, she loves us all way too much she probably needs to get some hobbies. Die-hard Bob Marley fan, environmental freak and my best friend since the 6th grade. kinda.

Pope, the brains of the operation, finalist for the Lucas T. Vanderhorst Merit scholarship and not only the smartest person I know (though that's not much of a compliment) but the Smartest kid on Kildare. Probably the only one of us with a promising future, He's too good for us truly. So his dad is this legendary character Heyward, whatever you want on the island he can get it for you. He works so hard providing for his son its admirable. I don't think Heyward knew what to make of his oddball son but one day we caught a weird fish and kept him- he's a pogue like the rest of us.