03 || MOLLY'S

The morning of her third shift at firehouse fifty-one, Rory awoke in the comforts of her childhood bedroom, having spent the last two days at her dads house.

She didn't feel quite up to going home and being alone least she spend the day crying over the idea of going back to work, so instead she spent her days off with her dads and Domino, having some quality family time together.

But now it was time to return to the dreaded fifty-one, the place she didn't even want to think about let alone walk into.

"You sure you don't just want to call in sick?" Her dad, Scott, asked from the drivers seat, having insisted that he drive her to work, and little Domino had also insisted she come with them and was now having a zoomies session in the back seat. 

"I'm sure." Rory replied, although she didn't feel very sure. "It's just a few more shifts... That way I can tell Chief Hatcher that I gave it a shot."

"If you're sure... Your dad and I don't like seeing you so upset." Scott said softly, reaching over to give her hand a reassuring squeeze.

"I'll be okay." Rory said with a smile, more telling herself that than trying to reassure her dad that she would be. "I promise."

"Alright, well you be safe out there." Scott said seriously, leaning over to give her a quick kiss on the forehead. "Go save some lives."

"I will." Rory breathed out, turning to look into the back seat where Domino soon dove forwards and began licking her face. "I know, I love you too... Be good for grandpa."

"I'll see you tomorrow, princess. Love you." Scott called after Rory as she got out of the car, his attention focused on her rather than Domino who was slowly sneaking her way towards the open passenger door.

"Love you too." Rory called back, about to shut the door when Domino dived out and began running towards the firehouse. "Dammit." She mumbled, turning on her heels to run after her, which wasn't easy with the bag over her shoulder that was banging against her hip as she ran.

And to make matters worse, Domino had found the one person who Rory had really hoped she wouldn't have.

The sight of Domino jumping up onto a rather surprised looking Otis made Rory's stomach drop, him and Cruz having been walking into the firehouse together when the rather mischievous dog came barrelling towards them.

"Oh, hey." Otis chuckled out, a smile on his face that Rory only remembered seeing from a distance when she stole glances towards him the times she'd spent at Molly's. It was a smile that she usually liked seeing, but now it was one that she knew would never be directed towards her and it just reminded her that he hated her.

Why couldn't Domino have found Herrmann instead?

Otis crouched down, allowing the puppy to jump up and lick his face, him being completely unaware of who her owner was or the fact that she was currently heading his way.

"Domino!" Rory called, forgetting it was no use calling her name as she wouldn't be able to hear her anyway, but perhaps she just wanted to give Otis some forewarning before she came and invaded his personal space, which seem to extend further than most peoples.

The sound of Rory's voice made Otis straighten, the smile seemingly dropping from his face as she edged closer to them, doing her best not to even look in his direction incase his gaze turned her to stone.

"Sorry." Rory mumbled, crouching down to pick up her chaotic little dog who'd made her have to see the one person she didn't want to have to see first thing in the morning. She'd been hoping to just avoid him all day, that way it would make getting over the crush she had on him a little bit easier.