16 || FLOWERS

Apologising to Rory was becoming way too much of a common occurrence for Otis these days, so much so that part of him didn't even want to do it as it would feel like confessing that he was guilty of hurting her. Which he was, but he just didn't like to admit that out loud as it made it harder for him to be around her knowing how much he'd hurt her.

But no matter how much it pained him to acknowledge that guilt, he knew he had to say he was sorry. He couldn't carry on without telling her that, telling her he was more sorry than he'd ever been in his whole life. That he was an idiot, that she was right and he should have listened to her which is why he was now begging for her forgiveness again. Forgiveness he knew he didn't deserve but still wanted anyway.

Otis needed to hear that Rory had forgiven him as if she didn't, if she couldn't find it in her heart this time to accept his apology, then he'd be marching straight into Chief Boden's office to hand in his pink transfer slip, as he didn't think he'd be able to continue working at fifty-one if that was the case.

What had he been thinking, accusing her of making up that story about Amy? He should know by now that Rory barely ever lied, and when she did it was usually a white lie so as to not hurt anyone's feelings, like when she told Capp his new shirt looked good when in reality it made him look like an idiot. He felt like such an ass, more so than usual given how quick he'd been to dismiss her allegation, which had been true as Otis found out the second he got home when he immediately called Amy who straight up told him she was cheating on him.

Normally finding out your girlfriend was cheating on you would be devastating, and for Otis it kind of was but just not for the reason one might expect. No, he was devastated because it proved Rory had been right and that he'd been the dick who was so quick to dismiss her. Otis didn't know exactly how he'd even begin with apologising to her, but he figured his first little idea wouldn't be such a bad start.

"You broke up with Amy... Why are we even here?" Cruz asked, his nose scrunched up at the strong smell of pollen filling the air inside the florists they currently stood in. He didn't appreciate being woken up earlier than usual just to end up sneezing due to the vast amount of flowers surrounding him.

"Because... Now either shut up or go wait outside." Otis gritted back, stepping up to the counter as the nerves inside him began to grow. A bouquet of flowers wasn't exactly the best way to say he was sorry, but he knew Rory liked all things floral, so who knows, maybe it might just be enough.

Cruz sighed, shoving his hands into his pockets as he moved to join Otis at the counter, dodging a vase full of tulips as the last thing he wanted was to have his work clothes covered in pollen. He'd never hear the end of it from Mouch when he started going on about his allergies.

"Can I help you?" The florist asked politely, a beaming smile on her face as she came up behind the counter, her own clothes dusted in pollen.

"Hi, I was wondering if you had any large bouquets of, uh, of daisies?" Otis questioned, his face reddening as he felt rather embarrassed asking that question. Not that there was anything wrong with it as he was sure plenty of men came in asking about flowers, many of them perhaps even in the same boat as him, but still, he felt silly.

"We certainly do." The florist replied, her voice way too bright and chipper for it being this early. "Do you have a colour preference or would you prefer an array of different ones?"

"Yeah Otis, do you have a colour preference?" Cruz repeated sarcastically, making Otis subtly nudge him with his elbow, and not gently either.

"Shut up." He hissed, hearing the florist chuckle softly as he imagined she'd had many encounters similar to this. With a cock of his head, Otis sent Cruz to wait outside, which he was happy to do as his nose began to start tickling and he was one more deep breath away from sneezing. "Sorry." Otis muttered, embarrassed, as he returned to face the florist again. "I was, uh, I was thinking maybe some pink ones? Maybe even purple and white too."