02 - Angel

As Yesul stood before her mirror, the weight of two weeks of misery hung heavy on her shoulders like a leaden cloak. Her gaze drifted down to the bandages encircling her wrists, the makeshift armor against her inner demons. The jangle of bracelets atop the fabric brought a faint sense of comfort, like tiny shields warding off the darkness that threatened to engulf her.

With a sigh, she turned away from the mirror, her movements sluggish and heavy with fatigue. Her fingers reached for a sweater, pulling it around her like a protective barrier against the world outside. The house, empty and silent in her parents' absence, loomed around her like a vast, echoing cavern, its emptiness a stark reminder of her solitude.

Stepping outside, she blinked against the harsh glare of the sun, its golden rays casting long shadows across the pavement. Though she despised the brightness of sunny days, the cool touch of the breeze offered a small reprieve from the suffocating heat. Ignoring the gnawing ache in her stomach, she set off towards the closest place that could offer her, her cravings, a cafè

As she walked, she kicked absently at the rocks scattered along the sidewalk, each impact sending a jolt of pain through her numb senses. The bell above the café door chimed softly as she entered, announcing her presence to the handful of patrons scattered throughout the space.

Approaching the counter, she cast a wary glance at the menu above, her mind already drifting to thoughts of escape.

"One caramel macchiato," she murmured, her voice barely more than a whisper as she watched the barista behind the counter. His features, a curious blend of strength and softness, his face was almost like an angel held her gaze for a moment before she looked away, her cheeks flushing with embarrassment.

"What size, miss?" he asked, his voice gentle yet firm, like the comforting embrace of a familiar melody. Yesul hesitated, then replied with a curt "medium," her words barely audible above the low murmur of conversation around her.

"Hm? I'm sorry I couldn't catch that, could you repeat it again?" He gave her an apologetic smile with his head lowering in order to have a better hearing of her request.

She cleared her throat and said once again "medium" His head nodded as he started writing the letter M on my cup.

"And, what's your name?" he inquired, his eyes studying her with a curious intensity that made her shift uncomfortably under his gaze.
"Yesul," she replied, her tone guarded as she braced herself for further interrogation. The barista's lips curved into a knowing smile as he heard her name, a silent acknowledgment of the weight it carried.

"Did you know your name means art?" he offered, his words hanging in the air between them like a delicate thread. Unsure of how to respond, she stood there with her eyes filled with no emotion.

"We'll call out your name once your order is ready," he said, his smile unwavering despite the awkwardness of the moment. Yesul nodded curtly, retreating to a corner table by the window where she could watch the world outside with detached interest.

As she waited for her order, Yesul found herself lost in thought, her mind drifting back to the events of the past two weeks. The constant struggle to keep her demons at bay had left her exhausted and drained, her once bright spirit dimmed by the weight of her own despair. She longed for a respite, a fleeting moment of peace in a world consumed by chaos.

When her order was finally ready, she approached the counter with a sense of resignation, her shoulders slumped with weariness.

Taking the cup from the outstretched hand of the barista, she offered him a small smile of gratitude before turning to leave.

It was then that she noticed the message scrawled across the surface of the cup, a simple yet profound gesture that touched her heart in ways she couldn't explain.

"Have a great day, Yesul :)" it read, the words written in a neat, looping script that spoke of kindness and compassion. Yesul felt a lump form in her throat as she read the message, a swell of emotion threatening to overwhelm her fragile composure.

Her eyes then sqinted upon seeing a faint darkness behind the letter, pit of curiosity she flipped it around only to be surprised once again. It was a drawing of her with her hands supporting her head, her eyes closed, and her rosy cheeks blushing.

She blinked back tears, her vision blurred by the sudden rush of feeling that flooded her senses.
With a shaky breath, Yesul made her way back home, the weight of her burdens lighter somehow, as if lifted by the simple act of kindness from a stranger.

The sun beat down on her with renewed intensity, its warmth seeping into her bones and chasing away the chill that had settled in her soul.

Yesul couldn't help but smile as she walked, her heart a little lighter, her spirit a little brighter, thanks to the unexpected kindness of a stranger and the simple pleasure of a caramel macchiato on a sunny afternoon.

I hope to meet you again...