Haymitch

For a few moments,Katniss and I take in the scene of our mentor trying to rise out of the slippery vile stuff
from his stomach. The reek of vomit and raw spirits almost brings my dinner up. We exchange a glance.
Obviously Haymitch isn’t much, but Effie Trinket is right about one thing, once we’re in the arena he’s all
we’ve got. As if by some unspoken agreement,Katniss and I each take one of Haymitch’s arms and help him
to his feet.

“I tripped?” Haymitch asks. “Smells bad.” 
“Let’s get you back to your room,”I say “Clean you up a bit.”
We half-lead half-carry Haymitch back to his compartment. Since we can’t exactly set him down on
the embroidered bedspread, we haul him into the bathtub and turn the shower on him. He hardly
notices.

"Now what " I ask Katniss. "I'll call one of those capital people to clean him up."She says
"Maybe helping him could help us make a good impression on him"I say hopefully.
"Hmph judging by the state he’s in, Haymitch will have no memory of
this tomorrow."
We call some of the capital workers and leave his room.

The train is pausing at a platform to refuel.
"I'm gonna go out to get some fresh air" I tell Katniss.
"I'm coming too" she says

We walk down the tracks while the peacekeepers watch our moments carefully."Why are they guarding us I've never seen a tribute escape."I ask her. "Maybe some tried and failed" she says.

We walk till we are out of their earshot and we begin the real conversation. "We should have done it."she says.
"Done what"
"Left the district. Run off. Live in the woods. You and I, we could have made it."
"No,because who else would have volunteered for Prim?" Almost everyone I have known loves Prim but not so much that they would die for her, literally.
"Your right" she mutters.

"Did Gale talk to you" I ask trying to change the conversation.
"Yes he told me my best chance was at finding an arrow and sticking with you. "
"He told me something similar.You and I have been hunting partners since forever let's just think this as a hunting trip. "

"Except we aren't hunting animals. "
"How different can humans be"
"They can think and will attack us back, (Y/N)"she says

"Well maybe we should try asking Haymitch for some advice in the morning. "
"If he's sober"she says. We share a laugh eventough nothing about this is funny.

"At least I've got you "she says giving a silent smile which I have seen on her only in the woods. We hold hands in silence for few minutes before a annoying voice forces me out my thoughts.

"What are you doing out so late off to bed both of you." Effie Trinket orders.
We walk back to our rooms.

Imagining my home makes me ache with loneliness. This day has been endless. Could Katniss and I have
been eating blackberries only this morning? It seems like a lifetime ago. Like a long dream that turned
into a nightmare. Maybe, if I go to sleep, I will wake up back in District 12, where I belong.I fall asleep not bothering to get into my nightwear .

Gray light is leaking through the curtains when the rapping rouses me. I hear Effie Trinket’s voice, calling
me to rise. “Up, up, up! It’s going to be a big, big, big day!” I try and imagine, for a moment, what it must
be like inside that woman’s head. I have no idea.

As I enter the dining room, Effie Trinket brushes by me with a cup of black coffee.. Haymitch, his face puffy and red from the previous day’s indulgences, is chuckling.
Katniss looks like she wants to choke him to death .

“Sit down! Sit down!” says Haymitch, waving me over. The moment I slide into my chair I’m served an
enormous platter of food. Eggs, ham, piles of fried potatoes

“So, you’re supposed to give us advice,” Katniss says to Haymitch.
“Here’s some advice. Stay alive,” says Haymitch, and then bursts out laughing. I exchange a look with
Katniss.

“That’s very funny,” I say. Suddenly out of instinct knock the glass out of Haymitch’s hand. It shatters onto the floor, sending the bloodred wine running toward the back of the train. “Only not to us.”

Haymitch considers this a moment, then punches me in the jaw, knocking me from my chair.For someone who spends his whole day drinking and slouching he sure punches hard.

When he turns back to reach for the spirits, Katniss drive my knife
into the table between his hand and the bottle, barely missing his fingers.

"That is mahogany!" Effie Trinket exclaims.

“Well, what’s this?” says Haymitch. “Did I actually get a pair of fighters this year?”

I rise from the floor and scoops up a handful of ice from under the fruit jar. I start to raise it to the red mark on my jaw.

“No,” says Haymitch. “Let the bruise
show. The audience will think you’ve mixed it up with another tribute before you’ve even made it to the
arena.”
“That’s against the rules,” I say.

“Only if they catch you. That bruise will say you fought, you weren’t caught, even better,” says
Haymitch.

“Well, you’re not entirely hopeless. Seem fit. And once the stylists get hold of you, you’ll be attractive enough.”
Katniss and I don’t question this. The Hunger Games aren’t a beauty contest, but the best-looking tributes
always seem to pull more sponsors.

“All right, I’ll make a deal with you. You don’t interfere with my drinking, and I’ll stay sober enough
to help you,” says Haymitch. “But you have to do exactly what I say.”

It’s not much of a deal but still a giant step forward from ten minutes ago when we had no guide at all.
“Fine,” I say.

“So help us,” Katniss says. “When we get to the arena, what’s the best strategy at the Cornucopia for someone—”
“One thing at a time. In a few minutes, we’ll be pulling into the station. You’ll be put in the hands of your stylists. You’re not going to like what they do to you. But no matter what it is, don’t resist,” says Haymitch.
“But —” I begin.
“No buts. Don’t resist,”

He takes the bottle of spirits from the table and leaves the car.

The train finally begins to slow and suddenly bright light floods the compartment. We can’t help it. Both
Katniss and I run to the window to see what we’ve only seen on television, the Capitol, the ruling city of
Panem. The cameras haven’t lied about its grandeur.

The people begin to point at us eagerly as they recognize a tribute train rolling into the city.

Katniss step away from the window, sickened by their excitement,knowing they can’t wait to watch us die."Come here" i call her“Who knows one of them may be rich.”

She hesitantly walks to the window. I attempt waving and smilling at them whereas  Katniss does the most awkward waves I have ever seen.

Maybe Haymitch is right, maybe we aren't that hopeless.