Cornucopia Bloodbath

Sixty seconds.

That's how long we're required to stand on our metal circles before the sound of a gong releases us.

Sixty seconds to take in the ring of tributes all equidistant from the Cornucopia,the mouth of which is spilt over with the things that will give us life here in the arena. Food, containers of water, weapons, medicine, garments, fire starters.Strewn around the Cornucopia are other supplies, their value decreasing the farther they are from the horn. For instance, only a few steps from my feet lies two loaves of bread.Certainly it could be of some use to eat. But there in the mouth, I can see a unzipped bag with all sorts of canned food that can keep me full till my last day in the arena . If I had the guts to go in and fight for it against the other twenty-three tributes. Which I have been instructed not to do.

We're on a flat, open stretch of ground. A plain of hard- packed dirt. Behind the tributes across from me, I can see nothing, indicating either a steep downward slope or even a cliff.
Behind me lies a lake. To my left and right , sparse piney woods. This is where Haymitch would want me to go immediately.That would probably be a wise choice since to my right are two career tributes from district 1.My best chance is to get as away from them as possible before they pick a weapon. So I need to to run to the woods towards my left.That is my only option.

Suddenly I spot Katniss she is about 10 tributes away from me,that's too far.Still I can notice the way she has positioned her feet to run, not away into the surrounding forests but toward the pile.

Is she planning to do something stupid? I wonder.

I try to make out where she is looking when I notice that resting on a mound of blanket rolls, is a silver sheath of arrows and a bow, already strung, just waiting to be engaged.

Yep she's definitely planning to do something stupid. She probably wants to get that bow.

As soon as we make eye contact I shake my head and mouting a 'no' but because of the sun falling on her face I don't think she understood what I meant.

While I'm puzzling over it the gong rings out.My feet shuffle for a
moment, confused at the direction my brain wants to take then I lunge forward and pick up two loaves of bread just in front of me. This won't be enough if I'm gonna risk getting caught here,I might as well go all in.

But my thoughts are cut short by a a scream. I turn around to see that a girl just standing a few feet away from me now is on the ground with a spear stuck in her head.I don't have time to process what just happened when the district 1 boy Marvel who threw the spear runs towards her corpse to pick up his spear again. As soon as he sees me I sprint towards the wood.

I pick a bright yellow backpack and turn to look for Katniss but I'm met with the sight of Marvel aiming his spear at me.He throws it with such brute strength that I'm barely able to dodge the spear as it cuts a small part of my cheek.

All the general fear I've been feeling condenses into an immediate fear of this boy, this predator who almost killed me. Adrenaline shoots through me and I sling the pack over one shoulder and run full-speed for the woods. I make for the trees. Somehow I know he will not pursue me. That he'll be drawn back into the Cornucopia before all the good stuff is gone.

At the edge of the woods I turn for one instant to survey the field. About a dozen or so tributes are hacking away at one another at the horn. Several lie dead already on the ground.I notice Katniss disappearing into the woods opposite to me,the one I choose not to go to.

I almost scream out her name but put my hand over my mouth instantly. Between her and me lies the open stretch of ground we started the game on which most of the careers are still picking up supplies . If I call her it would only draw more attention to her or me or worse both.Going after her is a no-go as I would have to pass through the cournucopia filled with careers. If only we were placed closer.