The Night Changes

For a moment, the cameras hold on my downcast eyes as what I said sinks in. Then I can see Katniss's face, mouth half open in a mix of surprise and protest, magnified on every screen.

“Oh, that is a piece of bad luck,” says Caesar, and there’s a real edge of pain in his voice. The crowd is murmuring in agreement, a few have even given agonized cries.
“It’s not good,” I agree, my eyes still on Katniss .
“Well, I don’t think any of us can blame you. It’d be hard not to fall for that young lady,” says Caesar. “She didn’t know?”
I shake my head. “Not until now.”

“Wouldn’t you love to pull her back out here and get a response?” Caesar asks the audience. The crowd screams assent.

“Sadly, rules are rules, and Katniss Everdeen’s time has been spent. Well, best of luck to you, (Y/N) Hawthorne , and I think I speak for all of Panem when I say our hearts go with yours.”

The roar of the crowd is deafening. I might as well have wiped the rest of the tributes off the map with this sh*t.When the audience finally settles down, I choke out a quiet “Thank you” and returns to my seat.

We stand for the capital anthem. I have to raise my head out of the required respect and cannot avoid seeing that every screen is now dominated by a shot of Katniss and me.

I hope she is not too upset.

After the anthem, the tributes file back into the Training Center lobby and onto the elevators.Katniss probably left so I hop onto my car and reach our floor through the elevator.

I see Katniss leaving the elevator .We walk towards each other. I try to hug her but instead of returning the hug  she slams her palms into my chest. I loses my balance and  crashes into an ugly pot filled with fake flowers. The urn tips and  shatters into hundreds of tiny pieces. I lands in the shards,
and blood immediately flows from my hands.

“What was that for?!” I say, aghast.
“You had no right! No right to go saying those things about me!” Katniss shouts at me.

Now the elevators open and the whole crew is there, Effie,Haymitch, Cinna, and Portia.

“What’s going on?” says Effie, a note of hysteria in hervoice. “Did you fall?”
“After she shoved me,” I say as Effie and Cinna help me up.

Haymitch turns on her . “Shoved him?”

“This was your idea, wasn’t it? Turning me into some kind
of fool in front of the entire country?” She answer.

“Yes it was his idea but I agreed to do it it's my fault as much as it is his” I say, wincing as I pull spikes of
pottery from my palms. “Haymitch just wanted to help.”
“Yes, Haymitch is very helpful. To you!” Katniss says.

“You are a fool,” Haymitch says in disgust. “Do you think he
hurt you? That boy just gave you something you could never
achieve on your own.”
“He made me look weak!” Katniss says.

“He made you look desirable! And let’s face it, you can use
all the help you can get in that department. You were about as
romantic as dirt until he said he wanted you. Now they all do.
You’re all they’re talking about. The star-crossed lovers from District Twelve!” says Haymitch.

She seems to have calmed down and throws a sympathetic glance at me.
“I’m sorry I shoved you.”
“Doesn’t matter,” I shrug. “Although it’s technically illegal.”
“Are your hands okay?” she ask.
“They’ll be all right, they've seen worse ” I says.

In the silence that follows, delicious smells of our dinnerwaft in from the dining room. “Come on, let’s eat” says
Haymitch. We all follow him to the table and take our places.