Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

"Dee, are you listening to me?"

Lando Norris was sat on the hotel bed, recounting his disastrous P15 finish to his friend and swiftly realising her brain was a million miles away. She was tucked up in the armchair next to the window, watching the car lights rush by in the dark. He noticed there was a slight scrunch in her forehead; the girl was clearly deep in thought without realising it. 

He thought she looked a little sad. The exact reason why wasn't a certainty and, considering they were both getting ready for a party, he'd expected a higher level of energy. So far across the weekend, Dylan had pretty much always worn a smile and Lando felt like he was getting a glimpse behind the sunny outside of the girl.

"Dylan?" He pressed again, more gentle this time. 

Her head whipped around and a hasty smile was plastered back onto her face, "Gosh, I'm so sorry, Lando! Just zoned out for a second there. I must just be worn out from today." 

She was quick to set herself back to rights, but Lando had already seen enough. He knew better than to pry in that moment, though. It was stored in the back of his head but she would talk to someone when she was ready.

"No worries." He grinned, chipper as ever, "I was fairly certain my race today was a boring event but glad to have it confirmed." 

Dylan rolled her eyes, pushing herself out of the armchair and walking over to the mirror, "Don't be so dramatic, you have lots of exciting race stories."

"I guess. Today will not be added to the history books."

"Maybe next week will then." She turned around and gave him one of her warm, loving smiles that could make anyone brim with optimism. 

Lando sighed, "Hopefully Saudi brings some points at least."

They moved on to other topics as they got ready for the night. Ferrari, having secured a 1-2 podium, was set to have a gigantic celebration in a club downtown. Dylan hadn't had a chance to see Carlos after the race with all the Red Bull media that had had to go out but he'd messaged her to go back with Lando and get ready for the night of her life. 

She felt a little guilty to be partying when the rest of her Red Bull teammates were commiserating but she truly couldn't wait for a night to take her mind of the whirlwind weekend. 

After Max had so rudely brushed her off, she had stood still in surprise for a minute or two. Anyone looking at her would have seen the blatant hurt and confusion on her face. That was mainly why she was glad that only Hunter had been looking at her; he'd not said anything, he knew what an impossible position she was in but he squeezed her hand and focused her back on work. 

As much as she could, she'd kept a lid on her feelings all the way back to the hotel. She knew Lando had probably seen her overthinking slightly but as long as she kept quiet about her interactions with Max, he'd have no reason to suspect anything negative was happening. And that meant that Carlos would have no reason to suspect. And that meant no drama.

"We should really look to add to your Instagram collection tonight, Dee. Did you get Max and Perez?" Lando called from the bathroom as she was packing her handbag. 

Dylan panicked, her mind racing for an excuse, "Uh- no, it's been too busy. Who can we get tonight?" She quickly re-directed his attention.

"You've not met Esteban yet, have you?" 

"Uh no, not yet."

Lando came out of the bathroom, his hair now perfectly styled in its floppy curls, "Okay, he's our target for tonight then."