Chapter Twenty-Seven

"What?" She laughed breathlessly, "Go racing with you?"

"Go racing with me, Dylan." He mumbled against her lips, pressing another firm kiss against them. 

She groaned, indulging in the feeling of his warmth and touch until the insanity of what they were doing brought her back to reality and she pulled back, running a hand through her hair, "Max, what are you talking about?"

Racing? With him?

He frowned, "You said you loved racing. You don't want to race with me?"

It was almost laughable, the simplicity of his nature and words. He had an idea and he didn't consider any obstacles to it once he'd set his mind on it. 

"Of course I'd love to race with you, are you insane? I've not been in a race car since I was allowed in karts with Carlos, I can't-" She took a breath, "I can't imagine what it feels like to do what you do, but it's all I do think about. It's my most private dream, but that's all it is. A dream. I know I can't be a driver or race in those cars. It's cruel for you to ask that of me, it's not funny."

He watched her curiously, seeing a new wave of vulnerability wash over her. 

"Dylan, no, that's not what I meant...look, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you."

"What did you mean then?" She asked.

Max held her wrist, running his thumb soothingly over her pulse point, "I meant I can drive and you can sit with me."

Dylan was stunned, and slightly embarrassed at her outburst. She didn't realise that such a thing was a possibility. Carlos had never mentioned it.

"Oh...you can do that?"

"Yes." Max laughed, "If I call in the right favours, then yes I can do that."

"And...you would do that? For me?"

When she looked up at him with those big eyes, Max could've sworn he would give her the world if she asked. 

"Yes, Dylan. I would do that for you."

This earned him another kiss, which he welcomed gladly. 

It wasn't just Dylan aware of the absolute insanity of what they were doing. Max knew he probably had about five minutes left before Sergio would wind up his work out and come in here to get showered. This wasn't something he was in the mood to explain to anyone right now, especially as he hadn't actually worked it out himself. 

Truthfully, he hadn't intended to pull Dylan into the changing room and make out with her. It had actually been his plan to sit down and have an honest conversation with her at some point in the day but asking her what her deepest passion was and hearing her answer just overtook all sense of rationality. She had been made for him and he'd just had to kiss her in that moment; screw rationality. 

The fact that she had kissed him back had his heart soaring. Was there a chance she reciprocated how he felt? He'd not allowed himself to dream of such a possibility but now it seemed like everything he wanted was in front of him and he didn't know what to do.

Dylan was reading his mind, "As much as I'd love to stay here in this dingy room with you, Brad will be wondering where you are. I don't think world champion Max Verstappen can disappear for too long without someone being concerned." 

"As usual, you are right." He acquiesced, taking a step away and running a hand through his hair. 

"I'll head out and you come out in a couple minutes?"