[PROLOGUE]

Romance is pathetic

Romance is pathetic.  

The fact that I can barely recognize the world makes it even more pathetic, as if it was ever capable of being anything less than utterly repulsive to me. Though, there's something that keep bothering my mind.

Love, a love I am so ashamed to admit I harbor for a novel character, would be the most repulsive thing in this life. 

The Virtues Of A Traitor, a novel by the brilliant and eccentric author, my father. It's the only book he didn't published in the entirety of his career and yet it still remains one of the best things I've read.

It's about two families in a kingdom ruled over by an ambitious king. He seeks to make sure that nobody dares defy him in favor of his own ambition. The families are in constant war with each other, the Dukedom of the South and North. Both sides seek supremacy within their respective lands; the Dukedom of the South trying for dominance over the Dukedom of the North. 

The king made a decision to let the heir of the North's Dukedome and the daughter of the South's Dukedome marry to strengthen ties between their kingdoms.

In exchange, they could both gain from the union the power of conquering and ruling their respective lands. This gave them enough strength to fight against the South's armies who attempted to destroy their neighboring land.

The King and his advisors were hoping that they could keep the alliances in place through these marriages, while at the same time they managed to weaken the forces of opposition that threatened both their borders.  

The main characters, Caspian de Salvaetore, the heir of the Dukedom of the North, and Maria von Wartenberg, the daughter of the Dukedom of the South, were both betrothed to one another, with no choice but to consummate the engagement in front of their parents.  

The second they got married, the princess of the South died . Her death was caused by poisoning which happened on her wedding night.

The traitor... happened to be herself. She couldn’t face the shame or disgust she felt when she had been married to a man she would never love. And knowing the future, that her marriage would only cause more turmoil in a world where the people were not used to tyranny. So she took poison instead.

The ending...was quite my taste. While the plot is tragic - the death of one of the characters will bring about greater instability in the world. The other main character Caspian, with a strong sense of justice and morality, has dive deep in her death and found out the nasty truth hidden in the book.

he was able to stop the king's real intention to kill off both families in order to end the conflict within their lands. The ending was him getting beheaded of treason. It ended his reign with a clear conscience. It was a great victory.

The story, however, left something bitter in my mouth. I don’t know why, because there wasn’t anything particularly sadistic about the story. There weren’t any scenes involving betrayal either. 

It was just the result of a couple of bad choices.  

And I fell inlove with the villain, the king's son, the only one who could've saved his kingdom. The boy was born after the assassination attempt. 

I wasn't romantically inlove with him. 

it was the idea of him being the most chilliest , most emotionless person in the novel. That the king chose to use a child like that for such nefarious purposes was abhorrent to me.

But how do you react to someone so detached from reality that he could literally take your breath away with a few well put words or the simplest action, like picking up a flower? 

he was too hateful that I love him. The second prince, Ignatius Von Zebulion.

and somehow, I became his maid. 

No....A hound

_______________________________________