Chapter 14

Blood. It was everywhere. It was all you could see and feel. Your bloodied footprints marking the once pristine white tiles of the hospital. The classic cream paint over the walls now sprayed a bright crimson.

You stepped over the bodies of the Fireflies sprawled out over the floor. Pools of blood circling around them.

Joel marched forward down the corridor, the carnage the two of you had left behind not phasing him in the slightest. He hadn't spoken a word since the stairwell, you weren't sure if he could even if he wanted to. He was zeroed in on one thing, and one thing only, saving Ellie and killing anyone that stood in his way.

You couldn't tear your eyes away from the abundant mass of dead bodies scattered over the hospital floor. Your mind flashing back to Henry and Sam, their lifeless bodies unmoving in that motel room.

For a moment, you were so lost in thought that you hadn't notice Joel circle back until his hand grasped your shoulder, startling you back to the present moment.

Those beautiful brown eyes were scanning your body up and down, searching for any injuries, but when he found none, he met your gaze. His eyes had a faraway look about them, like he wasn't entirely there, but there was a flash of concern amongst the rage brewing inside him.

"I'm good. Let's go." You reassured.

Joel gave you a small nod, actioning the bolt on his rifle, ejecting the bullet casing and reloading the weapon before the two of you strode down the corridor side-by-side, taking down anyone who tried to stop you.

Gunshots suddenly burst from somewhere down the corridor behind you, the bullets flying past your body and ricocheting off the walls. Joel was quick to step in front of you, shielding your body with his own before he raised his rifle and squeezed the trigger, silencing the rapid fire of a machine gun instantly. One shot, one kill.

He turned back towards you with a questioning look, and you nodded knowing what he was silently trying to ask. You were fine. Your head felt like it was going to split open, and you couldn't really read the writing on the walls, but you were fine.

You continued marching down the corridor, your assault rifle out of bullets and left behind ages ago as you held the Glock up in front of you, Joel right beside you.

A man suddenly appeared around the corner with a gun raised and you quickly grabbed Joel and pulled him behind cover. He was breathing heavily from beside you, his eyes hard and focused before he peaked out and shot the man easily.

He led the way further down the corridor before encountering a man with his hands raised in surrender, his gun dropped to the ground.

Joel didn't even hesitate when he pulled the trigger, and you didn't blame him. You couldn't leave any of them alive, they would just come after Ellie.

As you walked past a door to a room someone tried to shoot at you from inside, but had shitty aim. The bullet flew straight past you, and you spun around, moving way too quickly, but you lined the man up and pulled the trigger.

Your head was spinning from the sudden movement, and your shot missed its mark, clipping the man in the side of his stomach, but it sent him to the ground, nonetheless.

Gunfire erupted from further down the corridor and you and Joel both quickly raised your weapons and fired, taking them down with ease. Joel looked down at his rifle and you realised that it was out of ammo, but he didn't seem phased as he dropped the gun and pulled out Ellie's switch blade from his pocket and walked into the room to your left.

You stood guard by the door while Joel knelt next to the man who you had injured before he stabbed the blade into the side of his neck and yanked it back out before picking up the mans dropped rifle and pocketing the knife.