Chapter 1

It would come as a shock to anyone that knew her, but Rayah was curled up in a small chair in the corner of Tom's room. She was decked out in her favorite hoodie and fuzzy socks, reading her next novel. Reading had always been one of her favorite pastimes.

Tom was on the other side of the room, typing away at his computer. He was a boy on a mission.

Rayah finally looked up from her book when she took notice of the mumbling and muttering coming from Tom's direction. She placed her book down as she got up from the chair to go check the computer screen over the boy's shoulders.

Her eyes widened comically when she saw that he had finally managed to get into the school's computer system, and was bumping up his grades for the past school year. Rayah of course made high grades, as usual, but Tom's had taken a vast plummet in the last semester alone.

"Whoa, you did it," Rayah whispered out in disbelief. She knew Tom was smart, but he exceeded her expectations.

"Shhh," Tom shushed her, swatting at her face carelessly.

Rayah pushed his hand out of her face, huffing. "I was being quiet, you goose."

"You're talking. How is that quiet?"

"You're talking too, so shouldn't you shush yourself?"

"Ray..."

Before the two could continue their banter, the window into Tom's room slowly slid open. Wide-eyed and freaked out, the two looked at each other and looked back at the window. The room was now eerily silent.

Creeping towards the window side-by-side, Rayah and Tom were just about to lean over the windowsill to see what was out there. But before they could, a flurry of blonde hair followed by a familiar face poked its way in. The person took one look at the two surprised faces before telling them, "One word, and you two are dead."

Rayah let out an audible breath of relief. It was just Bethany, Tom's older sister. She had been worried it was a raccoon, or maybe even an alien. You can never be too careful, right?

"Are you crazy?" Tom angrily retorted. He was equally as relieved as Rayah, but was still irritated with his big sister for scaring them like that. "If Dad catches you, he's gonna kill you," he finished.

Rayah heard Bethany's smug reply as she watched Tom lean over the window.

"Dad's not gonna catch me," she told him. Tom had looked down to see Bethany's boyfriend, Ricky, getting into his blindingly yellow sports car.

"I don't get it," Tom said watching him leave, but not before he saw Ricky doing a weird, wacky dance in mockery towards the window. "What do you see in that guy?"

"You mean, other than the fact that he's good-looking, sweet, sensitive, romantic, funny and ridiculously athletic?" Bethany retorted.

"And don't forget immature," Rayah supplied. "You could do so much better than that tool, Beth."

Bethany eyes softened for a moment and seemed to think about Rayah's words, but she didn't have a chance to reply because her and Tom's little sister scurried into the room.

"Dad's coming, and he's mad," Hannah told the teens in a rush. The three looked between each other, wondering who exactly he was mad at this time.

"At who?" They asked simultaneously.

"Tom."
"Tom!"

Right as Hannah pointed at Tom and said his name, they heard Mr. Stuart's voice hollering for Tom from outside the room.

Thinking quick, Bethany grabbed Hannah while also pushing Rayah behind the door. Rayah was now squished between Bethany's side, the wall, and the door. She was a Rayah sandwich.

Just as they hid themselves away silently, Mr. Stuart stomped into the room. It didn't take a detective to figure out he was angry.

Rayah watched as Tom feigned a look of innocence, "what?"

Bethany had to put a hand over Rayah's mouth to hide her snicker. Luckily, it wasn't detected by Mr. Stuart, but a quick glare from Tom aimed at the brunette signified he heard it.

"If you're smart enough to hack into the school website then you are smart enough to pass math," Tom's dad outright accused. "Do you think Bethany got accepted to Michigan by screwing around all the time?"

"Of course not. She got in 'cause she's perfect," Tom retorted. It was clear to anyone listening that he was completely full of sarcasm.

"No," Mr. Stuart instantly objected. "Your sister worked her tail off, and that's exactly what I expect from you."

From her vantage point, Rayah could clearly see the wheels turning in Tom's head.

"Yeah. You're right, Dad. I-I-I don't deserve a family vacation. I should stay home tomorrow, learn my lesson. Rayah could stay too. You know, to make sure someone as irresponsible as myself doesn't burn down the house or whatever."

"Oh, no, no. I am not taking that bait, kiddo. This isn't you. The bad attitude, the grades. What is going on?"

Rayah was beginning to get increasingly uncomfortable the more she listened to the conversation. She felt a small hand slip into her own, and looked down at the owner. Hannah was looking up to her with her wide eyes, and gave her a small smile of reassurance. Leave it to little Hannah to pick up on Rayah's worrying.

Rayah looked back at her and gave her hand a tight squeeze in thanks. Hannah was quite possibly the sweetest young girl.

"Nothing," Tom bit out to his dad.

Mr. Stuart wasn't done yet. "I blame all this for coming between this right here. Some good old-fashioned no-tech-family togetherness is exactly what we need. So get some sleep. We're hitting the road at sunup."

Tom's eyes had got wider and wider at his dad's decelerations. A week without any tech? He would most likely combust from boredom.

While Tom was short-circuiting, Mr. Stuart turned around and faced the three girls. Turns out, he knew they were there the whole time.

"Oh, and you guys too," he said pointing to them. With that last statement, Mr. Stuart left the room.

Bethany and Hannah walked out on his heels, but Rayah stayed put for a moment. Tom looked at her in exasperation from the conversation with his dad.

Rayah could only offer a shrug and a lopsided smile. "Maybe it'll be fun?"

He looked at her with a deadpan expression. "You know Jake's going to be there too, right?"

"You have got to be kidding me...."

____________________________

Hello, my dudes!

I hope you are having an amazing day.

Quick question- is there any scenes, etc. that y'all would like to see happen in this story? If so, leave a comment!

I would love to hear from y'all.

And don't forget to leave a like <3