Chapter 2

The next morning, Rayah found herself in the middle row of the Pearson minivan with Hannah. Usually, Rayah would be next to Tom, but she couldn't say no to a pouting Hannah. It would be criminal.

That left Tom sharing the very back row with Bethany. Speaking of Tom, he had a noticeable frown of disdain on his face, quickly reinforced by getting whacked by Bethany's earbuds as they swung around.

"Hannah. Please, next time, you ride in the back, okay?" Tom tried telling his younger sister. He couldn't help but be a smidge jealous at the two carefree brunettes in the middle. They didn't have to share a row with a giggling, boy-crazy teen.

"I barf in the back. Remember?" Hannah simply replied without missing a beat.

Tom went to turn to Rayah next, but she cut him off with a mischievous grin. "Not a chance, TomTom."

Tom rolled his eyes at his best friend, but he couldn't really be mad at her. Right then, Mr. Stuart turned up the radio to listen to an interesting piece of news.

"And that's the farm report. In other news, it looks like there will be more than just fireworks in the sky tonight as an unexpected meteor shower adds a little excitement to our area this holiday weekend."

Rayah dozed off for a moment in a daydream. She vaguely registered the scattered pine trees and lakes that dotted the landscape all around the highway. Instead, she was lost in her own head, wondering if it was too far-fetched to ponder the possibility of other life out there in the universe.

As a child, Rayah had a very imaginative mind. Before her parents became workaholics, they nurtured their small girl's imaginations. In fact, they absolutely loved listening to all the strange new worlds she could conjure up.

That was a long time ago, though. As years went by, Rayah's parents become less and less interested in her stories. Even though she buried her childhood dreams deep down, Rayah still had a tendency to let her mind wander every so often.

Rayah was brought out of her daydreaming by the sound of Mr. Stuart's voice. "Very exciting. We're in for a little bit of a show."

"That'll be beautiful, guys," Mrs. Nina supplied.

"Better wear hats tonight," Mr. Stuart joked, looking into his mirror. He was met by his youngest daughter playing by her sock monkey toy, his other daughter face first in her phone, his son looking out the window in annoyance, and his honorary kid looking at him in bewilderment. At least someone was not completely ignoring him.

He gave Rayah a smile and added to his joke, "We don't want our heads catching on fire." His smile broadened when Rayah burst out laughing. She loved some good, corny humor every now and then.

Her attention soon diverted to the backseat when she heard Tom speak to Bethany.

"Hey. Your boy toy is a complete idiot."

Rayah turned to see that Tom had snatched Bethany's phone and was presumably looking at a picture of Ricky. With a scowl, Bethany snatched it right back.

"Ricky is not a boy toy. We're in a mature, loving relationship." 

Realizing her use of the word 'mature,' Bethany looked up at Rayah to be met with a quirked eyebrow of knowing. A friendly staring contest ensued, in which Rayah quickly won. Point for Rayah!

Bethany wouldn't ever admit it, but she did feel a sense of gratitude that Rayah cared enough about her to worry about whether or not Ricky was treating her right. The same couldn't be said about Tom though.

Turning back to him, she quipped, "Why don't we talk in a few years when you have a clue what dating's all about?"

"Like Ricky has a clue?" Tom rebutted.

Rayah could see the oncoming fight when Bethany turned her torso to face her brother, pointing her finger at his chest and threatening, "one more word about Ricky, and I swear to God I'll kill you."

Getting their attention, Rayah cut in, "hey now, Beth. Maybe killing isn't the answer."

Both teens in the backseat looked at the brunette quizzically. Even Hannah seemed interested in what Rayah had to say.

"Have you ever tried arson?"

"Hey!" Tom exclaimed in betrayal as Rayah laughed at his expression. She had been totally kidding, of course. But she wouldn't miss an opportunity like that for the world.

"Okay. That is enough," Mr. Staurt interjected into the chaotic mess going on in the back. Mrs. Nina was the only one to notice his amused smile that contradicted his words.

"Knock it off, you guys," Mrs. Nina softly told them as they quieted down. "We're almost there."

Rayah turned back around to look out of the window once again, but not before receiving a stuck out tongue from her best friend. She wouldn't trade a thing for these wonderful people, no matter what.

______________________________

A little bit shorter if a chapter, but a chapter nonetheless!  I call that a win.

Anyway, hope this isn't a complete wreck for y'all <3

Until the next chapter, happy reading!
(I say that a lot...don't I?)