αғтer ѕcнool ѕpecιαl;pαrт ғoυr

The following day, Nadia and the boys went to Mr. McGregor's house to talk to him. Like most people they encountered, he was skeptical of the sudden strangers standing on his porch. But when he learned that they were friends with his son, he was more than willing to speak with them.

Mr. McGregor was a gentle and kind man. It was almost unexpected for those who knew his son displayed contrasting traits. There was a deep sadness in his blue eyes. He wasn't tall or skinny, and his house was very old and plain with its dark green walls and brown accents.

"So, you were friends with Dirk?" Mr. McGregor brought them to the living room.

"Yes, sir, in high school," answered Sam as they looked around.

"I don't recall Dirk having many friends at Truman. Here, sit. Sit down."

They sit on the couch, with Dean in between and Mr. McGregor sitting opposite in a chair.

"So, when did Dirk pass?" Nadia wondered.

"He was eighteen."

"What happened to him?" asked Sam.

"Well, there was, first, drinking, then drugs, and then too many drugs. And then he just slipped through my fingers."

Mr. McGregor answered their questions with ease but it was obvious that it was difficult for him to recall losing his son.

"It was my fault. I should have seen it coming, you know? Dirk, he, uh. . . he had his troubles."

"What kind of troubles?" asked Dean.

Mr. McGregor paused for a moment. "School was never easy for Dirk. We didn't have much money, and, well, you know, kids. . . they can be cruel . . . They picked on him."

Sam frowned, "they picked on him?"

Mr. McGregor nodded. "They called him poor and dirty and stupid. They even had a nickname for him: Dirk the jerk."

Nadia could feel Sam tense. The younger Winchester gulped as guilt eased its way into his soul. So wracked with remorse, he looked away.

"And after what happened to his mother, he. . ."

"His mother?"

"Yeah, Jane, my wife. She died when Dirk was thirteen. Cancer."

Dean looked down; even he felt sorry for the kid.

"I was working three jobs, so it fell to Dirk to take care of her

"I was working three jobs, so it fell to Dirk to take care of her. And he was a great kid. He made sure Jane got her medicine. He helped her, cleaned up after her. But, you know, you. . .you watch somebody die slow, waste away to nothing. . . it does things to a person. Horrible things."

Sam noticed a picture on the fireplace of Dirk when he was younger. He looked innocent and happy.

"I didn't know about his mother."