12

Faith, Wesley, and Gunn were gathered around the kitchen island, some stood and some sat, indulging in a lick of Dutch courage, shooting down the brown liquor to loosen up. Throwing back alcohol was a normal warmup to their battles, especially for Wesley. Not so much for Faith, as she didn't want to influence her young slayers. Gunn, on the other hand, usually saved it for the celebrations afterwards.

Among their laughter and jokes, Buffy cleared her throat from the kitchen archway to get their attention. She didn't look upset at them for drinking on the job, and even had a small smile cracked on her face. Unsettlingly calm, she told them, "We're ready."

***

The sun was hiding behind the buildings as it set, giving Angel and Spike the opportunity to walk the streets without worrying about sunburn. They filed out of one of their black tinted vans just after Buffy, Faith, and Gunn. Wesley, Willow, and her team of witches and slayers arrive in two more. The slayers were armed each with a weapon of their own, ranging from crossbows to the classic wooden stake.

Rona caught up to Faith before she got too far ahead. "Hey, you got a minute?" Rona asked between breaths. She released a sigh of relief when Faith came to a halt and gave her full attention onto Rona.

"Listen, if this can wait 'til after we're done here, that'd be great. We've got our hands a bit full right now," she said impatiently. She wasn't in the mood for another one of Rona's scoldings and walked away.

"I just wanted to say I'm sorry for being so hard on you," Rona continued, rushing to catch up. Her words stopped the brunette slayer in her tracks, and once again Rona had her attention. "You did what you had to do. If you hadn't, more of us would probably be dead. I wouldn't be able to make a decision like that."

Faith shrugged, silently accepting Rona's apology, and then said, "Be glad you've never been put in that situation. I wish it didn't have to be that way, but y'know; you can be a part of a massive problem but still turn yourself into a better solution." Faith glanced behind them to Sienna, who was in earshot, empathizing with the burdened witch.

Buffy approached the metal door that led to the locker rooms and jiggled the handle. "You think it's rigged?" She turned to Willow.

The redhead put her hands out to feel the door, but she didn't notice any strange energies emitting from it like she had the past few times they tried to break in. She shook her head.

Buffy didn't hesitate to yank down on the handle; breaking the metal lock, and then proceeded to enter the building. She cautiously observed her surroundings. The many doors that lined the hallway were a new scene for her, and she anticipated enemies to jump out of every nook and cranny. Before she got too far into the hallway, Spike grabbed her arm.

"What are you doing?" Buffy asked as she glared at him in confusion.

"There should be invisible lines 'ere, pet." He warily eyed the ceiling. "You getting' anythin', Red?"

Willow shook her head.

"I don't think the traps are back up," Sienna told him. "The ritual Amy plans to perform is too powerful; her Magick would be spread too thin." To prove her hunch, she took a shaky forward, passing Buffy and Spike, and didn't stop walking until she reached the metal maintenance box at the far end. Then, she opened it, confirming that there was no talisman inside to power the beams.

"Well, if this isn't too easy," Gunn mumbled from behind Angel as they cautiously caught up to Sienna. He wasn't going to admit it, but he was still anxious for his first ever trip to a Hellmouth. This seemed too easy for Gunn's liking.

"Alright, past this door is the locker room. There's basement and stadium access. We haven't been anywhere else but the basement. Not sure if you're going to run into any trouble," Angel reminded Willow and Rona, before he broke the handle to the locker room and let them all inside.