3. PAST ماضى

"Say, "Whether you conceal what is in your breasts or reveal it, Allah knows it. And He knows that which is in the heavens and that which is on the earth. And Allah is over all things competent." (Al Quran 3:29)

🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁

The tears she had been holding in for so long began falling down her face; one hot teardrop after another, until her face was drenched with tears. Short gasps of sobs rocked against her ribcage, unable to contain within her breaking heart any longer.

"—I love you forever."

Her own words continued ringing in her ears, tormenting her with no room for solace. She felt as if her heart was literally breaking apart inside her chest. It hurt so much that felt she was bleeding tears.

With a sob, she placed a shaky hand on the door he had slammed shut on her face just a while ago.

By now, she had begun to whimper uncontrollably. Alif knew she should leave because if Zargham heard her he would get more mad. And then he would hate her even more than he already did—if it was even possible to hate someone anymore than this.

Biting down on her lips, she made a futile attempt to suppress her tears. With shaky hands she wiped away her tears and began to take steps away from his door and into her old room.

'it will be okay...he is back now...he is finally back...i will do better...i will improve and love him more...then he will come to love me again...'

She started telling herself while lying down on the bed. Pulling up her legs to her chest, she hugged them tight for solace. Teardrops continued to drip down the bridge of her nose and getting soaked into the bedsheet.

'it is going to be okay...he married me because he loves me...we will be together...forever...' She kept telling herself over and over again, until her consciousness began to fade.

5 YEARS AGO

"'It's Rehmat—' The nurse had announced as she held you out infront of your Abbu jaan (father)." Raheela continued in a solemn voice. Her eyes glistening with treasured memories of their past.

"And then?" 17 year old Alif's voice reverberated through Raheela's fingers, which were in the midst of massaging Alif's hair with mustard oil. For a second only, Raheela paused, as if lost in a train of memories of long past. With a slight dismissive shake of head, she allowed a small smile to break across the corners of her lips, which exhibited wrinkles; revealing her age old wisdom.

"Then—" Raheela began with some forethought, while Alif braced herself for what came next; even though she had listened to this story countless times by now. Yet, she tightened her arms around her knees, pulling them closer under her chin as her body trembled with anticipation.

"—Your Abbu Jaan took you in his arms, carefully and gently—as if holding the most beautiful and precious treasure of this universe—" Alif was so immersed in the tale that she failed to sense her breath hitching in her throat, or her eyes widening in fascination.

"—And just as he placed a peck on your beautiful, pink forehead, you opened your eyes wide and broke into the most divine smile that we had ever seen..." Raheela's voice trailed off with a sigh, whereas Alif broke into a fits of giggles, which she covered with her hands.

"Abbu jaan was very happy, huh?" She inquired with a mischevious grin, while twisting in her seat and looking up at Raheela, who was sitting behind Alif, massaging her head with tears pooling in her eyes.

"Yes, our sweet Jaan. Your Abbu jaan, Ammi jaan—everyone couldn't have been happier—After all you were the answer to our long years of supplications—" Raheela was still saying when Alif's head dropped in a slump. Immediately Raheela realised her mistake and shut up.