1

The moon peeks through cloudy skies and lights up the world a dark blue. There's a light wind going by and it makes it hard for me to light my cigarette.

It's cold in the early morning of spring but my body heat adjusts well as I inhale the nicotine to calm my racing heart. There's so much on my mind that I can hardly focus.

I sigh solemnly to myself, leaning back against the stone. Green vines tickle jet black curls and caresses my neck.

I'm in Amorite where the Walhgren's reside, my old home for many years before my mother returned. I shouldn't be here and if anything I should be back at home getting ready for training in the morning.

I don't know why my father insists on me and Elliot working out so early in the day. I wasn't a morning person and I hated to be bothered before ten.

Yet I am restless, standing outside my old bedroom on the balcony smoking.

The flicker of a candle beyond the french doors lights up a small part of the room. A shadow appears just beyond it, small and timid.

"Akeno?" Her soft but curious voice flows in my ears. She sounds tired like she's just woke up from a deep slumber.

The doors open and Emiko steps out wrapping a satin robe around her slender body. Her long messy hair is swept up in a high bun. Coils frame her heart shaped face while her full lips and eyes are puffy from sleep.

My head tilts to the side as she emerges out and steps into the darkness. A shiver runs down the soft curves of her body and I take her in selfishly.

From her cat like eyes, sharp but full of innocence. To the fullness of her lips and the gentle sway of her hips. I openly check her out, drawing my tongue across my teeth. I really don't care if she notices, she should be used to it by now.

"What are you doing out here? My dad's gonna kill me if he finds us out here alone." Emi says once she's right in front of me.

She looks back behind her as if Leon's going to pop up at any moment.

I exhale a short breath, a burst of perspiration mixed with smoke flows from my mouth. "I came in through the back, no one's seen me."

She sighs, relaxing a bit. "Good. I just got off of punishment after we snuck out last week. Mom only allowed me out to do chores and now my fingers are sore."

"You're eighteen," I scoff. "I thought they were passed that."

"Not when you refuse to tell them who you snuck out with." She pauses for a moment searching my face. "I didn't want to get you in more trouble with your mom and dad. I know things have been rough at home and I didn't want to be the reason why you three had another argument."

"It's fine, you could have told them it was me." I put my smoke back in my mouth and inhale deeply. "I wouldn't have mind."

"And have them reprimand me for being unmarried and sneaking off with a boy?" She makes a face and shakes her head, her curls bouncing softly.

"Still following traditions." Is all I say, taking another puff.

"Unfortunately." She eyes the cigarette in my hand as the wind picks up. She shivers once more and runs her hands up her arms. "You shouldn't smoke, I thought you said you quit."

I shrug, eying the burning red cherry. "I did for a while, six months."

"It's bad for your body." She says softly.

"My body heals on its own, I'll be fine."

Emiko sighs, snatches the cigarette hanging from my lips and tosses it away. "You promised me."