Chapter Two: Eclipse

By the morning, Astra had gotten to work at the stables with Jenna and Stein. Astra walked behind the girls as they led horses into the stables and the horses would each get their own clean, spacious, sawdust-scented stall. The riders would also get hay and fresh water for the horses, but Astra gave the feed and water to the unmatched horses. She currycombed the horses, cleaned out their hooves, and combed their tangled manes.
Though, she has a slight heartache as she remembered how grim and lonely she was, roaming the streets and everyone had started avoiding her for some reason. Many people tried to avoid her for some reason and she does the same, but some people hurt her and she keeps away from other people. Not many people around her age would show her the same kindness as grownups do for her. She was living off the land, taking on challenges, and so on. The people she usually came across out here were either liars or thieves, so there were no real opportunities for friendships. She knew that people have their own reasons for their own choices. But it doesn't quench her loneliness and the longing for friends.
"Look out!" Astra perked up after she was done with the training horses.
She went outside of the stables towards one of the paddocks through the gates. Astra was surprised to see a black horse in the paddock. But the mare wasn't alone.
Herman stood inside of the paddock. He kept his warm gaze on the black horse. The mare moved around the man, keeping her distance. A few ranch hands leaned against the fence, watching.
Astra was immediately joined by Stein's side, to both watch the scene happening before them.
"Herman is trying to wear the horse down," Stein explained. "So she won't fight so much. But that horse wouldn't give in."
The mare didn't seem tired. Her nostrils flared, and she glared at the handler. The morning sun gleamed off of one of Herman's helper's silver belt buckle and highlighted the seemingly dark blue hues in the mare's coat.
The mare stopped trotting as one of the ranch hands climbed over the fence and handed a halter and a lead to Herman. The mare neighed at the ranch hand, terrified of the agitated horse, jumped over the fence quickly before he gotten bitten.
"It's okay, girl." Herman tried to step towards the wild mare. "I'm not going to hurt you." A strange dance followed. As Herman stepped closer, the mare stepped away. If Herman stepped closer, the mare stepped away. "Jake, Roy, get in here and help me."
The two young men looked at each other in terror and didn't look like they wanted to help. They pushed each other, trying to make the other go first.
"Boys!" The two ranch hands climbed over the fence. But the minute they set foot into the paddock, the mare went completely berserk, whinnying and rearing. "Look out!" The front legs came crashing down, barely missing Jake, who scrambled over the fence. Then, after a swift buck, the mare's back legs had broke the piece of the fence next to Roy, who was already halfway over. The mare's burned with rage, she turned her attention to Herman. She neighed again and shot forward. Herman dove over the fence like a trapeze artist. Astra cringed sympathetically as he landed in the grass. The mare snorted a few times, which sounded like laughter.
"Something tells me she's not going to be broken anytime soon," Astra stated dryly as she crossed her arms on top of the fence.
But when she was walking out of the stables after she was done with her chores, she heard a familiar whinny. Astra soon saw a paddock with some trees and a stone-made field shelter, but there's a familiar horse within the paddock.
The mare flicked an ear and looked at her curiously before she slowly started walking towards Astra, much to the teenage girl's surprise. Astra fought off the urge to step back from the wild mare, the mare's gaze seemed to be gleaming with warmth. Her eyes were mild. Blue like sapphires. The mare seemed to be studying her, as though she could see straight through her. Astra's wariness evaporated when their eyes met. She felt herself become more calmer and warmer. She seemed to be studying her, as though she could see straight through her. Her fear evaporated when their eyes met. Suddenly, her breathing slowed. She felt calm and comfortable.
Astra gingerly walked up and stood close enough to touch the horse's extended neck. The sunlight shone down on them through a circle of clouds overhead.
The mare is stunning to Astra, nothing like she'd imagined. The lines of her graceful body curved with an elegant, strong precision. Her delicate muzzle narrowed into a sleek, proud nose, and her large blue eyes are shining like a pair of a sapphires. Her coat is well-groomed and is the color of a starless night sky, but the sunlight made the mare's coat glow dark blue. Her thick, wavy black mane and tail is the same shade as the midnight sky. But what stands out was that the mare has a white star that's hidden underneath her black forelock. In a sense, the mare looks like a wild Lipizzaner horse.
All of Astra could feel was warmth and affection for the horse as she put her head close to her and snorted. Astra let out a soft chuckle and thought to herself that the mare was behaving like a lovable puppy, despite being a horse.
An electric warmth rushed through her. It was like a buzzing electric current, but painless.
Trembling slightly, she continued to pet the mare's warm and soft muzzle. The mare stepped closer and blew air into her face. She smelled of the fields, the beach, and something else she couldn't quite put her finger on.
She soon spoke in a voice that she barely recognizes, "You need a name. How about... Eclipse?" The mare nickered and nodded as her blue eyes gleamed.
I sound like I'm in love, Astra thought. She had never been in love, not really, but judging from what she'd read and seen in movies, she could guess that it was something close to what she was feeling right now.
But it was not infatuation. But it was certainly something. All she knew was that she wanted to be brave enough to ride the mare and go on great adventures that they both dreamt of having. It was as if they were the only ones who could both see and feel what freedom feels like. All that remained was Astra and with the inexplicable, electric warmth surrounding them.
Astra raised her right hand in front of her, she closed her eyes and looked away as she felt uncertain of how to befriend one of the most feistiest mares that ever lived. She felt her breath caught in her throat as Eclipse leaned her muzzle into Astra's palm, snorting softly, making Astra looked at the black mare in surprise. They both met each other's eyes with open curiosity, Astra somehow knew that they were both confirmed as equals.
The two of them both met each other's eyes. Emotions rolled around inside Astra like a whirlwind. She doesn't know whether to feel joyful or awed or nervous or uncertainty. New feelings like lightning raced between them: newly made trust, curiosity, excitement, and understanding. Behind those blue eyes seemed to hide more intelligence than seemed possible for any horse and Eclipse's eyes seemed to have the reflection of Astra's soul. Astra was surprised to see that Eclipse seemed to be smiling at her with warm eyes. Eclipse nickered softly and nodded to Astra, she lowered her head and began to nuzzle her face.
"Good job Astra." The two of them looked towards the direction of Herman, who was unknowingly watching them with a proud smile. "Eclipse is very picky when it comes to who rides her."
"Really?" Astra glanced at Eclipse, who nickered softly and her blue eyes twinkled at her.
"I want to ask you become Amelia's owner," said Herman warmly. "You can ride her whenever and whenever you want. Astra wouldn't let anyone else get near her."
Astra smiled and hugged Eclipse before she said to Herman, "Thank you Herman. Can you tell me more about her?"
"She was found in Mistfall and from a herd of wild horses, beyond the Mountains of Jor in the east," explained Herman. "She probably wouldn't have survived out there much longer. Believe it or not, there were people who actually wanted to harm her ("Like I let them," said Astra protectively and the horse whinnied fiercely as she inched closer to her new rider protectively). They brought her back to the stables, in time, she learned to trust me. But she's still very headstrong and spirited. As you saw, not many people had managed to get a foot near Eclipse — until you arrived. It's amazing."
"Thanks for telling me this." Astra beamed at Eclipse as the beautiful mare laid her head onto Astra's right shoulder, while the teenage girl petted Eclipse's cheek.
"You're welcome," said Herman. "Why don't you try riding your new mare in the paddock?"
"Lets do it." Astra smiled determinedly and Herman gave her a lead bridle. She smiled as Eclipse didn't cause much trouble as she did back in the paddock earlier and let Astra lead her out of the small paddock.
It wasn't long till Eclipse was wearing some riding tack, including a brown English saddle and bridle, while her riding blanket is dark blue that sparkled like constellations of stars sewed into the fabric. She had also placed on a black helmet and her fingerless riding gloves.
Astra was uncertain about riding again, but her anxiety faded away as Eclipse lovingly nuzzled her head against hers. She strapped her fingerless riding gloves and put the helmet onto her head. It has been over five years since she last wore riding gear, but Astra was glad to have it again. She felt nothing, but determined and excited to be horseback riding again.
It was a clear, breezy day, and trees were swaying in the wind. It was a good day to start riding again. Astra glanced up at Eclipse, who looked completely calm. Out of the corner of Astra's eye, she could see that Herman were both studying the horse too. They left behind a tree-lined road and the yellow brick buildings and walked out through the north gate, which led to the big paddock.
Astra put her foot in one of the stirrups and flung herself onto the saddle. She slipped her other foot into other stirrup and took hold of the reins. They walked on slowly in a circle inside of the paddock.
After a few minutes, Astra had finally stopped trembling. Eclipse walked forward smoothly and gently, peering up at Astra. If horse can smile, Eclipse just did. She smiled back at the mare and felt a gentle touch of tears in her eyes. This time, it was tears of joy and massive pride. She's finally back in the saddle!
After a bit, Eclipse trotted for a bit until she finally broke into a smooth, flowing canter. They were flying together, as though they're one in the same. Astra felt the gentle wind rushed through her. She was intensely aware of Eclipse's movements underneath her. She felt herself smiling and Eclipse let out a loud whinny. While Herman laughed joyfully and started clapping proudly.
I did it! I'm riding again! Astra smiled as she gently petted Eclipse's neck as the mare looked up at Astra proudly and she said to her new partner, "Thank you Eclipse." Eclipse whinnied and it wasn't long they started galloping. They were soaring together, as though they're one in the same. Astra felt the whooshing of the wind going through her. I'm finally with a friend and a partner.