Chapter Five: Light Ride

A few days later, it was time to prepare the stables for another morning. Carts of hay and molasses were rolled out in the aisles. Riders and their horses rode out to the paddock and the woods. Some parents have came to drop off their children. A few wet autumn leaves blew through the open stable doors.
Astra placed hay and fresh, cold water into Eclipse's buckets. Astra currycombed Eclipse, cleaned out her hooves, and combed her tangled mane and tail."You're so beautiful, Eclipse." Astra gently petted Eclipse's sleek muzzle and kissed her horse's muzzle. Eclipse snorted and looked at her with her bright, soulful eyes. Her ears were tilted forward in curiosity and her head cocked to the side. "And clever, too." Astra laughed softly.
She walked out of Eclipse's stall to get the riding tack and gotten a bucket of soapy water with some cleaning brushes. Astra gotten to work as she started cleaning Eclipse's riding equipment before they head out on their next adventure when she heard voices inside of the stables too. Once she was done, she quietly found Anne (who has unique pink markings on her left side of her face) and Lisa (who was brushing Starshine's white coat).
"—I can't wait for the Light Ride," Anne was saying to Lisa.
"Me too!" Lisa beamed at her best friend, her excitement seemed to be contagious and made Astra crack a small smile. "It's going to be a Soul Riders Reunion."
"Soul Riders?" The two girls gasped in surprise and spun around to see a curious Astra walking out of the shadows. "From the legends? What's a Light Ride?"
After they recover from their shock, Lisa smiled at Astra. "The Light Ride happens every year. Riders and their horses go to Goldenhills Valley to do a trail ride that honors Aideen's great sacrifice that brought forth life and light on Jorvik."
"That sounds fun." Astra smiled at Eclipse, who nickered to her. "So, what do you say, girl? Wanna go out for a trail ride?" Eclipse let a loud neigh, making Astra smile at her mare.
⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡
This Saturday, the whole stable was giddy with anticipation. Boys and girls raced up and down the aisles with saddles, blankets, camping supplies, and heavy saddlebags. Many were dressed in riding clothes. Astra spotted several velvet cloaks and even a Jorvegian folk costume in the island's colors of green, blue, yellow, and white. One of the riding instructors was helping a ten year old girl fasten a saddlebag onto her pony.
Once Astra have arrived to Goldenleaf Stables, she listened to Herman's words about Aideen and her steed's great sacrifice for the island. Astra saw the Bobcat Girls, the Bulldogz Club, the Flying Foxes, the Soul Riders, the Jorvik Rangers, and so forth listening to Herman.
Astra sighed softly as they set off as soon as the sun had begun to set towards the tree line behind the stables. Folk music of Jorvik could be heard coming from somewhere, and a crowd of onlookers had gathered to see the riders off. A small boy handed Astra a bouquet of clover, Astra accepted it and thanked the child.
The Light Ride covered many miles so they mostly walked to conserve their horses' energy. Astra rode alone with only Eclipse for company. In the distance, she spotted a vast vineyard and a beautiful, gray stone manor.
The farther she rode, the more Astra felt it like she was traveling out of time, away from the modern world to a mystical place where anything was possible. She rode toward the western part of the Northern Mountain Range, just beyond the large Silverglade Manor. From the summit, there was a view of Everwind Fields and a glimpse of the lights from Silverglade Village beyond it. On the clear night, Astra could see the lights in the castle windows. Though, she prefer the moon and the stars guiding her way towards the campsite. The castle served as a kind of beacon for the riders traveling through the rural southwest corner of Jorvik.
Astra looked around, eyeing the black patch known as the Cauldron Swamp curiously. She remembered hearing something about a friendly witch living in the swamp. She was dazzled by the sparkling colors of the red, orange, and yellow forest.
Eclipse turned her head to look at Astra, she looked at Eclipse with a small smile. Eclipse's ears were pricked as she nimbly trotted up the hill. Eclipse gave her an encouraging nod and Astra felt herself smiling back at her mare.

Several other Light Riders were nearby, but they mostly kept to their own little groups. Some went alone. A few there were plenty of others to form a long line of riders. A couple sang well-known traditional songs about Aideen and the long journey toward better times. Sasha let the song warm her heart and soul, she allowed the song go into her mind. Several people took the opportunity to stop at the crest of a hill; their horses walked on a long rein and stopped to graze occasionally.
Maybe it was the singing, the lights, or the soft evening breeze, Astra began feel like anything was possible once. Astra started to think back to the morning when she had arrived to Jorvik. Upon her own word, many things had changed over time. Everywhere, there was shining stars and the fading rays of the sun, the silvery moon rising from the east and a few silvery gray thunderclouds strayed past Silverglade Village. "Starshiner, ray of sun, all of the world is yours to keep. Moon Sister, Lightning Girl, all the world is yours."
As dusk fell upon them, Astra and several other Light Riders had lit lanterns and carried them around. But Astra was holding a safe torch with her hand instead of using a lantern. The fiery amber light reflected into her eyes.
As she continued on the trek, Lisa had told Astra that the last stretch before anyone reached the overnight campsite was traditionally ridden alone, though each rider had the option to decide for themselves. Lisa had also told her that she saw the ghostly form of their beloved lost ones during the Light Ride.
"They say that's when you feel Aideen's spirit within yourself," Astra had told Eclipse, who nickered softly.
Astra had a feeling that she has to ride through the scarce trail alone. The warm, comforting feeling from the campfire was still lingering inside her.
She stopped Eclipse in front of the silvery, rocky gorge that has moss and glowing blue mushrooms. "Lets keep going, Astra." A strong, warm voice was soon heard in Astra's head. The voice is clearly a female and sounded human, but inhuman at the same time. Astra nodded to her horse friend with a small smile.