Chapter 12 - A Town Forgotten

The road had long been deserted as the storm came crashing into the small town of Lintley. Alana watched the houses as they drove by, long since abandoned to weather the harsh storms. At one time this had been the center of activity, a lively town with hundreds within its folds, yet now it was a shell of nothingness.

"I wonder what happened to everyone that lived here?" she asked.

"Everyone was asked to leave, it seems there was some underground fire that refused to stop and was harmful to people. That has long since stopped too and now this is what's left."

She shook her head, the houses had seen better days yet she could see the architectural design. What it must have been like to live here, she wondered, gazing out the window again as Sam kept driving. Dean was on the back seat asleep, exhausted from the time he spent on the road, but it was Alana that had refused to sleep, constantly keeping awake.

"We'll be in Water Dam Creek in an hour; we'll get a room there and get some shut eye. That's also where our next hunt is going to be." Sam said, glancing at his sister.

She nodded, "Okay."

The drive to Water Dam Creek had been short; Alana's mind was left in Lintley. She told herself that she would go back to investigate the town. Something was beckoning her to come back.

"Alana?" Sam called out to her as he opened the door, waiting for her to enter the room with Dean and him.

"Yeah?"

"You are coming in sis?"

"Yeah, sorry." She said and shook her head.

She entered the room and sat on the bed near the window and sighed. She was exhausted and needed to sleep, yet when she closed her eyes she felt something evil trying to enter her body. That's why she kept her eyes wide open. As long as she was awake she was safe.

But Dean had been watching her since they'd pulled into town and grew increasingly concerned over her. She was pale and tired and every time she walked, it was as if to drag herself. She was completely exhausted and yet she wouldn't sleep. He looked to Sam and waved his hand as Alana lay on the bed, staring at the ceiling.

"Alana, sis, is everything alright?" he finally asked, not wanting this to continue.

"I'm fine."

"Then why don't you get some sleep."

"I'm not tired." She said and yawned.

He grunted, "You've been yawning since we left this morning, now what the hell is wrong?"

She sat up and looked at him, "I don't want to talk about it."

That had done it, both brothers walked over and sat on each side of her, concerned looks in their eyes.

"You have to talk about it Alana." Sam said.

"Or else we'll have to make you talk." Dean said and was given a dirty look by his brother.

Alana looked to Dean in weariness, her nightmares getting to her. After that blow to the head by psycho Meg, she was uncertain what was real or not. She shook her head, nausea overbearing her; she bent over closing her eyes and gasped for air.

"Alana!" Sam cried out, kneeling down to his sister and pushing her hair away, "Are you alright?"

She shook her head no, the pressure to her skull increasing.

"Make it stop." she cried, flinging herself onto her back, gripping tightly to her head.

Sam kept close to her side, wishing it was him getting the nightmares. It had been simpler when it had been him, yet now it seemed like so long ago.

"Dean, something isn't right. What's going on?"

Dean shook his head, "I don't know Sam, I don't know."

Sam sat next to his sister, wishing that it was over.

**********

A young woman sat in the darkened room, chanting an incantation to protect the young woman though the nightmares seemed to grow worse. She sighed in resignation and opened her pale blue eyes, looking into the glass mirror that perched in front of her.

"Oh child, I wish I could make it stop, your brothers worry about you so much." she stopped, looking to her pale arms, the blood rushing from the cuts she inflicted.

The candles blew out as the woman got to her feet, soon she'd meet up with the young woman and end this misery of torture from the underworld for good. The Winchesters would survive even if it took her life instead.

"I'll make it all stop, I will." she said and stepped into the mirror yet again.