pretending

jasmine's POV

break 1:15

i was reapplying my lipgloss while looking in the mirror, talking to lindy, when i hear footsteps behind me. being the stupid person i am, i disregard them. but i know who's steps they are. suddenly, i feel a pair of strong arms around my waist.

"hey, jas." logan whispers. i feel my heart start to race. i also see

pretending. is the first word that comes to my mind. but, i still play along, because he's my best friend.

confused? here's the story.

lunch 12:00

"jas!" logan says, sitting next to me. i've mastered the art of not blushing when he's around. i mean, i've had to do it a lot. and NOT because i like him. because i definitely dont.

"hey, logan!" i reply. "what's up?"

he takes a deep breath, as if he's scared?? is this the moment i've dreamt of? please please please ask me out. wait jas what are you saying?

"jasmine, i need advice." phhew.

"oh y-yeah sure. a-anytime." i stutter.

he kind of just stares at me for a couple seconds. "are you okay?"

"not feeling that great. anyways, what do you need advice on?"

i can tell he's actually not staring at me, he's staring behind me. i look over my shoulder and i see logan's one and only ex, jenna.

"i think i want jenna back." he sighs. "what should i do?"

"uh," i take a second to think. "well, i kinda want mike back and i think.."

i'm about to say something that might change our friedship.

"what do you think, jas?"

"i think we should, uh," i stutter. "i think we should date to make the other person jealous."

his eyes widen. "jas, i dont wanna hurt your feelings, but-"

"n-n-o, that's not what i meant," i say quickly. "but, i think we should pretend to date just so i can get mike and you can get jenna."

"that's insane!" he says. i get slightly discouraged. "when do we start?"

i look around and see mike. "uh, now. pretend we're in love."

he stands, grabs both my hands and smiles down at me. he mouths, "i love you."

"i love you, too."

__________

back at break 1;17

"are you guys like boyfriend girlfriend now or something?" lindy asks, wide-eyed.

"well, sort of," i say, lowering my voice. "logan wants jenna back and i want mike back. so, this is us trying to make them jealous."

he puts his head on my shoulder and for a second, i think he's gonna kiss my cheek. but, of course, he doesn't.

"awwww," delia says. "but ewwwww."

logan and i laugh. "guys, i gotta go. i have to rehearse with the band at 1:20."

i stick my bottom lip out. "aw, i'll see you later, uh," i think of a name. "logan-pie?"

"bye, cutie." he jokes and gags, because i've always hated pet names. i see jenna out of the corner of my eye and motion towward her. he sees what im talking about and kisses my forehead. "see you later."

after he walked away, lindy starts to interrogate me.

"jas, do you actually have a crush on my butthead of a brother?"

"no!" i say. "of course not! i'm trying to help him and he's trying to help me."

"are you sure?"

"yes!" i insist.

"jasmine?" i hear.

i turn. seeing him shocks me ad i don't know why. "h-hey mike!"

"i saw you and logan and i was just wondering if you and him were dating?"

i nod. "y-yeah, we are. sorry, mike."

i live through the rest of the day, really wanting for school to be over so i can go to lindy's and POSSIBLY see logan. i mean, because we're fake dating and not because i like him, no.

end of day 2:30

"linds! open up!" i bang on their basement door, trying to get out of the rain.

"hey, jas!" logan runs up to the door and quickly lets me in. he looks over my shoulder. "where's mike?"

"uh," i stutter. "he still thinks we're dating?"

"hey, you wanna go out?" he asks, as if it's the most casual thing.

"yeah, where to?"

"well, jenna's at rumble juice," he gasps. "we should make her jealous."

"let's do it."

"i got the umbrella," he picks up a dark green umbrella. "cutie."

i laugh and pretend to gag.

when we walked into rumble juice, it's like all eyes were on us. well, we were being obnoxious and loud.

but, lindy's in there and god knows who she's with or what she-

she's with jenna. i glance at logan and squeeze his hand, ready to say hi to jenna.

"lindy!" i call.

jenna widens her eyes. "logan!" she squeals, looking at him up and down. when she sees our hands intertwined, she gasps quietly. "oh, i didnt know you guys were dating!"

"yeah," he says. "recently."

logan and i sit down next to each other on the couch. he orders our smoothies and hands mine to me.

"wanna make her jealous?" i ask. he nods while sipping his smoothie. i lay my head on his shoulder.

oh how i wish it would be like this forever.