Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Shin and Kotone sit beside each other as class finally ends. The two overhear the others talking about a place that closed down and apparently Takuro had been invited to an event there but the one who sent said invite has disappeared seemingly due to a shadow extraction. Though, Kotone had noticed Shin's gaze seeming to go from looking out into space to intently focusing on the conversation in front of them and especially how his eyes widened when Takuro mentioned the name of the student. Takashi Okazaki. Sensing this Kotone turns to him and places a gentle hand to his shoulder which momentarily breaks his focus.

"Shin, are you ok?"

"Huh, oh, yeah..." he says and turns away with a hand sheepishly rubbing his neck.

"Shin" she urges, and he turns back to meet her crimson eyes.

"That guy" he whispers "He was on the list"

She nods and whispers back "Are you going to do anything about it?"

He shrugs "Maybe" and walks over to the group.

Shin approaches the three chatting and says "Okazaki, you say?"

Takuro turns to face him "Oh? Do you know him?"

Shin tenses up which doesn't go unnoticed to Kotone.

"Ah no... not exactly, someone from my old school had the same name but it couldn't be the same person" he says with a look of evident nerves, but this seems to go unnoticed by the others.

Kotone internally sighs, Shin really doesn't seem to be good at lying. Fortunately, the three continue their conversation like normal before Takuro walks out leaving Shin to hold a concerned expression for his friend.

Later that night Shin sits in his older brother's room at his computer while Kotone sits beside him. He gazes at the screen with a distant look on his face.

"What's wrong?" she asks

"I was with Takuro earlier today and he talked about Okazaki, it seemed they were close"

Kotone remains quiet as he faces drops a bit more.

"He was just another guy with a dream, he wanted to perform on stage but never got to do it. He had a saying of 'don't do stingy things, you'll regret it forever' Takuro said"

"You didn't say anything, did you?"

"No, I really didn't know what to say. I felt guilty about it though, I knew something at least about him and didn't say anything at all" he sighs "I just wish I knew what was going on and what all this meant..."

"You don't have to hold this burden alone, you know"

"Yeah, we'll figure it out, won't we?"

"Definitely" she says offering a small smile.

A pause follows, Shin speaks up first.

"So, how's the new job going?" he asks hoping to lighten the mood a bit.

"It's going pretty well. I have enough saved up to get a phone so we can have a way to talk if we are far, and I also have money set aside to give to Ryo so he can use it however he needs"

"That's good, I'm glad you are adjusting to living here"

"It's not all so different from where I was before"

"Where exactly did you stay before?"

"I was staying at a dorm with some friends from school"

He nods silently, then says "You don't really talk about them much, your friends I mean..."