Chapter 36 - The Start Of A Chapter

I had lingered in Professor Sharp's office as he wrote up a letter to the Ministry, taking in every bit of information I could about the situation that he would offer. I had not informed the professor about our ancient magic sharing but it seemed to him that the connection between us could and would hopefully save Sebastian from another visit to Azkaban, for now. 

Once he was satisfied with the letter and that I was well informed on the matter, he sent me off, making me swear that I would in fact visit the hospital wing to be looked at and a promise of his own that he would take care of Mr. Hensley and inform the headmaster within reason.

I would visit the hospital wing but I was running on adrenaline and there were more important things at hand to tackle, I could not allow myself that grace at the moment. There would be time enough once I knew my boy was safe.

I walked the halls deliberately and swiftly, taking comfort in Ominis' robe that I had wrapped myself in. It smelled of him and felt grounded in the way he always soothed my nerves with understanding and logic, a comfort less drastic and soul tugging than what I could feel with Sebastian. 

I found my way back to the Undercroft, my body stalling and pleading not to go back to that place, forcing me to halt at the entrance abruptly. I could feel images and the feeling of Leightons hands around me begin to creep up once again, slowly trickling through me, lingering at the front of my mind.

I didn't have time for this. He could not be the center of my world now or ever. I would not let him win. 

With long deep breaths and a stern harsh scolding to myself I was able to force him from my mind once again, willing my legs to carry me through the entrance of the Undercroft once more with the promise of Sebastian so near.

I heard Ominis talking softly to Sebastian, his words kind and heartfelt as he spoke on about how glad he was that the two of us were in fact safe.  

I glanced around the room cautiously but to my relief, there was no Hensley in sight.

"There you are..." Sebastian growled out, standing swiftly as he caught my eye, hounding me as he made his way to my side, his strong arms wrapping around me, pulling me into his chest.

Ominis lingered nearby, patiently waiting as Sebastian claimed me in his arms, his lips pressing to the top of my head over and over in reassuring soft kisses.

I pulled away reluctantly, not able to linger in his warm embrace much longer without loosing my nerve to charge forward with our plan. Sebastian frowned yet let his arms drop from my body, his pinky reaching to link with mine as I stepped away. 

Ominis offered me a sad yet warm smile, regarding me with too much sympathy, at least more than I was ready to face at the moment.

"Adelaide darling, have you spoke with the Professor? Is he willing to help?" Ominis asked calmly, all of his anxiety seeming to be directed into his wand as he twirled it between his fingers.

I nodded, speaking up quickly to answer.

"Sharp has been very... illuminating. He has written to the Ministry asking them to collect Leighton. He believes, in this instance, as long as I press charges and admit to having used the curse in my defence, there is nothing more to look into. He could not decipher which wand was used...nor could he detect who had used it." 

Sebastian stiffened, not the reaction I would have expected, meeting my eyes once more in silent pleading.

"But you didn't use the curse, I did... I can't let you..."

Ominis cut Sebastian off with a sharp smack to the shoulder, earning a slight smirk of approval from me.

"Don't be daft Sebastian, she can and she will... I would do the same in this situation. I refuse to go round and round about your guilt, especially now. This is not the time to be a hero, this is about Adelaide."

I raised a brow at Ominis, a smirk still playing at my lips as Sebastian looked at him dumbfounded. 

"Ominis..." I began, attempting to hide my amusement, "I agree, but this is not the time for harsh words either. I can understand Sebastian's concerns..."

Ominis huffed softly, stuffing his wand back into his coat pocket before relaxing once more, Sebastian leaning in to kiss my head in gratitude.

"In any case, Sebastian and I have brought Leighton up to hospital wing, they can pick him up there. It took some clever spells on my part and a few different disillusionment charms but somehow we made it."

Sebastian huffed a chuckle, the sight warming my heart has I felt him begin to finally relax a bit.

"Weasley might have some questions though..." He chuckled again. "Cant say for sure but I doubt he bought our excuse about heavy quidditch gear..."

"It was all I could come up with under pressure, Sebastian... Better than the choked out gobbledegook that seemed to escape your  lips." Ominis retorted. 

Ominis and Sebastian shared a small smirk, my own body relaxing as their presence washed over me. No matter what happened, it seemed these men in my life could always find a way to bring humor and joy, even if it was for the briefest of moments. 

For the next hour or so, we talked endlessly about the information I had gathered from Sharp, all of us memorizing every detail as if it was our own dark twisted religion. 

Sebastian seemed unsurprised by the connection our wands had gained, Ominis only inquiring curiously about the matter, though none of us were very pleased with the fact that  I would be without a wand for the next day or so while the investigation commenced.

Sebastian assured me that I was to use his in the meantime, gently tucking it into my side for me for safe keeping. 

Sebastian and I were curled up together on a large couch that Ominis had so kindly conjured, Ominis tucked into a book in his own tall armchair. My bones and muscles were now beginning to ache, that creeping feel of hands around my neck slowly beginning to linger as the adrenaline in my system wore off. I shifted, earning a concerned look from Sebastian as I pulled away to stand, stretching a bit to try to loosen myself. 

"I can't sit down here any longer. I need to see what's happened since we've been gone. Its driving me mad." I said finally, looking to the two men for approval. 

Ominis peered up from his book, regarding me thoughtfully.

"If you feel ready to face the school once again... may I suggest dinner?"

His words hit me like a ton of bricks, the idea that all of this had transpired within one afternoon rushing my body with panic and exhaustion all at once. 

I could feel Sebastian shift and move towards me with concern as I froze up a bit, only backing down when I managed to speak again.

"I think...it would be best to get some food in me. I'm starting to feel a bit hungry..." I said simply, Ominis rising from his chair with a soft caring smile, reaching out to gently take my hand.

My body flinched at his touch, his hand quickly pulling back away to drop to his side, only a concerned look gracing his features but thankfully he did not speak on the matter.

Sebastian closed in behind me, gently pulling me back into his embrace, his protective arms holding me close as if to shelter me from all that had transpired.

"I'm sorry..." I offered softly to Ominis, earning only a shake of his head in understanding.

"Nonsense darling, come now... we all deserve a bite to eat."