1

=====

=====

psychic's tent, 10:18 a.m

"What do you mean in a hue of gold? Is that what they'll be wearing? Gold?"

Ms. Yarahara, the psychic, shook her head in gentle sways and the beads hanging from her headband clinked and clanged together with the motions.

"I can't specify, but you'll know when you see him, Sakusa-Sama. Trust your instincts and try your best, and you'll have the perfect ruler to be by your side within a week's time."

Sakusa stood from his seat and gave a polite bow. He trusted he'd find the one that was to rule with him within the given time, so he wouldn't let the pressure get to him.

He'd know when he saw them.

"Oh, but, Sakusa-Sama, I can give you another hint if you'd like."

By the curtain, he paused his hand from sweeping it back to leave and turned in piqued interest.

"Can you?"

She stood from her seat in front of the clothed table and grabbed something from her shelf. It was a chain similar to the ones you'd get in a quarter machine.

"Keep an eye out for these things, if you're not careful, they can pinch you pretty hard."

What could that possibly mean?

-----

Bayside town, 12:22 p.m

Shouyou was the light in every dark hour, the sun on a rainy day. In this small town by the sea, this cake deliverer was everyone's happiness.

Rain or shine, cold or hot, Shouyou's always ready to smile, to comfort, to love, to appreciate. They've never seen someone with so much love for life, both his and everyone else's.

He, his mother, and his half-sister Natsu have lived here their whole lives after his mother and father divorced decades back.

Today, he'll be celebrating his twentieth birthday in this wonderful town, and he's more than happy to spend half of it at his job with his best friends and coworkers, and then spend the other half with his family.

Tonight, there's going to be a meteor shower, too, and he's hoping he'll be energetic enough after his long day to lay out in the field to watch it.

He scooped his little sister up the moment she had come to his bedside to wake him, and she was giggling so much that his mom and stepdad couldn't help but laugh, too.

There was a large plate of pancakes that his mom brought over to his bed after Natsu made herself at home beside him, and his stepdad joyously brought over the syrup and whipped cream, which Shouyou thanked them all for.

While they all ate in his room, Shouyou realized why his birthday meant so much to him. Because he was blessed with such kind people to support him, because his life was wonderful, and he's so, so grateful for it all.

He's grateful to be alive. Why wouldn't he want to celebrate the day that started it all?

Before he left for work, his stepdad stopped him at the door. His mother was busy laying Natsu down for a nap.

"Shou, I know you aren't really a fan of gifts and all, but I wanted you to have this. It belonged to my dad way back in the day. He was going to give it to his wife, my mom, but... Well, he didn't get the chance to..."

Shouyou stared at the gold ring with curiosity. His stepdad continued.

"It might sound far-fetched, but he told me he had found it on the sea floor when he was young and held onto it, and, after he found it, things just seemed to change for him. He says it turns your luck around because he had always been so down on his luck, you know?"

These stories were told to him before, maybe a year after he and Shouyou's mom started dating. Back then, it was still hard for Shouyou to open up to another man, so all his stepdad's stories really helped connect with him.

His mom walked up behind her husband and wrapped her arms around his waist. She gazed at the ring and smiled as her hands were enveloped by her husband's.

"But after he put this ring on, Shouyou, he told me the very next day he had met my mom, gotten a new, stable job, and found his lifelong buddy, his dog, on the street within the same week."

"Are you... sure you want to give this to me..? I mean, it was your dad's... and what if you need it? For luck."

His stepdad laughs and pats his shoulder, which is a lot smaller than this large man's hand. It didn't bother Shouyou, though, he knew this man was just scary on the outside.

"My luck's never been bad, I'm happy with what I have, and I'm sure you are, too, but I want to give you some sort of omen, so you know that, wherever you go, we're here with you, and, who knows, maybe it'll double your good luck! Hell, you'll probably find a twenty lying on the ground or something, haha!"

His mom softly laughs as well, and Shouyou smiles. They had gone through all the trouble to give this to him, to show him that they cared about him. He'd wear this ring forever as a thank you.

"Thank you, guys! I'll never take it off!"

They give him a hug, and he gratefully accepts, then, they wave him off in the doorway as he cycles to the bakery, his golden ring glinting in the bright morning sun.

=====