Chapter 4

"Mommy..." I whine, gripping the woman's kimono. "I'm hungry..."

The black-haired woman squats down to my height, albeit a bit taller. "Oh, I'm sorry, honey. This meeting will be over soon." She whispers.

We were in a luxurious home. Polished wooden floors and maids were frolicking around the mansion. And at my age, I wished to run around and explore. But I was taught better than that. Although my stomach roared painfully, I didn't want to wait any longer. Breakfast wasn't an option this morning since we had no money for it.

Nudging her kimono once more, I whine in discomfort. "Mommy..."

The woman sighs, gently getting her husband's attention by touching his arm. She apologizes for interrupting the meeting. "Sweetheart, I'm going to take Kana out for some food. She's getting rather hungry."

The dark green-haired man, my father, nods. "Alright. I'll be done here shortly." My mother nods, grabbing my small hand into hers and walking me out of the mansion.

I lived in a small, well-known village. Many poor people, including my family, lived in town. Of course, there were some wealthy families around, too. Many families dislike the rich by the way they flaunt their expensive clothes and money. But, if it weren't for wealthy residents, many people wouldn't have jobs.

That's why my parents and I were in that mansion. A busy man finally held a meeting with my father. Getting a meeting or a job interview was like waiting to be old enough to get married or drink. It takes years to get a letter from a wealthy family to say that we have been elected to meet with them. So painstakingly long, but no one cares. Because all they care about is getting that job. My father wanted me to work for him to get some money. And by surprise, seeing my father have a genuine smile for the first time was all because of a letter.

"Mommy," I call out, tugging on her hand to get her attention. The crowd around us was busy on the streets, buzzing around us like a swarm of bees. "Will Daddy be okay?"

The woman looks down at me in shock. "Of course, he will be. Why do you ask that, sweetheart?"

"That man...he looked mean."

My mother giggles. "I see. Well, don't worry. He may look mean, but I promise he's not a bad man."

"Okay."

I always needed to understand how life worked. Why people had to get jobs for money, or why they had to work so hard. Ever since my father got a job with that rich man, I haven't seen him home very often. I always questioned why he was never home.

"Mommy? Does dad love us anymore?"

"Sweety, how could you say that? Your father will always love us." She smiles gently down at me, taking my tiny hands into hers and squeezing them. "You're father and I are working hard for you."

"But why?"

"It's because we love you, sweety." My mother once said to me. Those words made me the happiest child alive. We were poor, but we loved each other dearly. Nothing else mattered to us.

— — — —

I was woken from my stupor by my mother's call. She shook me awake, frantically calling my name. "Kana! Kana! Wake up, sweetheart!"

"What's wrong, Mommy...?"

"Nothing, honey. Let's go for a walk, huh?" She didn't even give me a chance to speak, picking me up into her arms and almost sprinting out of our home. I was still exhausted since I had just woke up, but I could tell my mother was very worried about something. She was so frantic for me to move and get up. What was she so worried about?