Chapter 7

"The real monsters don't live in the woods. They hide in plain sight. You pass them on the street every day." Hinatsuru's words echoed in my mind, "The truly terrifying monsters are the ones who smile at you before twisting a knife in your back."

Oh, how her words are true to the very core. After Sanemi's betrayal and most other Hashira, I now understand what Hinatsuru said. His betrayal hurt, of course, but I can't hold on to that. With Shinobu's help the night before, I managed to build up my confidence to talk to Tengen.

It had been a few days since the trial, and I could feel my body shake, knowing my father figure was right inside the home I stood in front of—our home. I did take my time getting here to figure out the words I had to say. And during that time, I noticed a few of the Demon Slayer Corps. members looking at me oddly and running off when I wasn't looking. Because of that, I now can't remember a single word I would say to Tengen.

A sigh escapes my lips, my hand shaking as it moves closer to the door handle. The door slides open, and I take a step inside. I didn't realize I was holding my breath until the door was closed behind me, leaving me alone in the entryway of my home.

Home.

A soft smile graces my lips, my back leaning against the wooden doors as I relax. Oh, how I missed home. My green orbs observe the shoes lined neatly by the door. The only shoes to be there were Tengen's. Hinatsuru, Makio, and Suma must be out. I take a deep breath before pushing myself off the door. It was time to talk to Tengen, whether I liked it or not.

It took a few minutes to find the Sound Hashira. Since the house is quite large, I didn't think it'd take me so long. And seeing him after so long made me want to run and give him a giant hug. But the look on his face changed my mind. That look on his face...why was he so shocked? Was he surprised to see me back? Did he miss me? He had his usual Demon Slayer uniform on, with his weapons tied up on his back.

His widened eyes return to normal after a couple of seconds, a straight and neutral expression now displayed. I smiled widely when he started to approach me. "T-Tengen..." Tears started to prick at the corner of my eyes, tears of happiness ready to disperse.

That is until he walks straight past me and down the hallway.

Time seemed to freeze in place, but his body still moved ever so slowly. I was stuck in my spot, unable to move. I finally pushed my body to turn and face him; the tears were gone, along with the happiness. "What...? Wait-"

"Being a Demon supporter isn't very flashy, you know?"

The way he turned back to look at me with a glare almost sent my knees to the floor. The confidence that built up has now disappeared. "...Huh...?"

He turned away but stayed in his spot. "You need to go."

"What? But... I don't understand-"

"I don't want to see you here again, understood? I took you in eight years ago! I practically raised you!" He was now facing me angrily, "How long have you been friends with the demons, huh?! Everything that we've done for you...do you not care about us at all? Do you really want us dead?"

Nothing hurt as much as this. Not the scratches I got from falling as a child, not the soreness from my difficult training...not even the scar I got that night Sahi saved me. I didn't even notice the tears streaming down my cheeks. "W-what are you talking about...? I thought-"

Those members I passed on my way here...do they know something about this? What is he talking about? Being friends with demons? Seeing my family dead?

"No! Y-you don't understand!" I hiccup, more tears spilling out of my eyes like waterfalls, "I'm not friends with any demons! W-whatever you heard from the other members, they aren't true!"

"Don't!" I flinched at how high his voice rose at me, the anger radiating off of him, "Don't come back here. Ever. I don't want to see you again. And don't you dare get near my wives."

My hand instinctively reaches out, imagining him moving farther and farther away. But he was still there. He hasn't left, but he wants me to leave. Everything I've worked so hard to regain what I've lost...has all been for nothing. I clenched my fists tightly and gritted my teeth. Why won't he listen?! To his own daughter! As quickly as I came, I left. The soft brush of our shoulders from my running past burned my flesh. I didn't care where I went. I didn't care if I ran into another Hashira.

I've already lost another family.

— — — —

"Mommy, did you see? I helped daddy fix the chair!" I yelled excitedly, hopping like a bunny up to her.

"Did you now? I'm sure daddy loves your help. You're his little helper!" She pokes my nose gently with her finger. "Now, get ready for dinner! And tell your father it's dinner time."

Everything around me became blurry as I ran. The trees morph into a giant green blob, the sky quickly turning dark as grey clouds cover it. Thunder never sounded so quiet. I didn't even know where I was going. I didn't know where I was.

"Sahi, I found some berries for you. My mommy said it's good for you." My little hands hold out a handful of blueberries to the demon.

He gave me an odd look, one that I knew quite well. He wasn't known for smiling much or any other emotion, only acting as if I was the stupid child. But I didn't care. I happily put the handful of berries in his loose hand when he didn't respond, watching as some fell out. He didn't care to catch them.

"I don't eat food for humans," he finally says.

"I know!" I giggle, squatting down to draw in the damp dirt with a small stick, "You eat humans. You told me, remember? Silly!"

The blue demon with pink hair smiles for the first time in a month. A chuckle escapes his lips as he tosses the berries somewhere I didn't care to look. He squats down beside me, watching me draw for a few seconds.

"What are you drawing? Can you teach me?"

My feet suddenly stop, and the cold drops of rain falling out of the sky slowly gain in numbers. Ragged breathing left my system, my lungs trying to catch the breath I lost while running. The tears didn't stop running down my cheeks.

"Everything..." I gasp, "...everything!" My hands fly up, practically slamming them on both sides of my head. Pain erupted from the contact, almost causing me to black out from the pressure and how long I ran. But I didn't care. Before I could even think, a guttural, frustrated scream left my lips, it echoed throughout the forest, scaring the birds out of their homes.

"Are you an orphan? Well...we can take you in. How does that sound? I'm Rioko. This is my husband, Taka. And this is my son, Kakusho. He'll be your older brother from now on." A woman with dark brown hair smiled kindly at me. She introduced her family, who were all standing in front of their home.

The woman, Rioko, gently nudged me into their home. The smell of freshly made dinner makes its way to my nose. My mouth watered from the lack of food these past couple of months. The small family who took me in laughed at the roar my stomach made.

"Come, have a seat. Eat as much as you'd like, dear."

My knees hit the dirt ground, my head falling back as I feel the water fall onto my face. Hot tears run down my neck, despite the cold rain covering my skin. Each breath of air leaving my body causes me to jerk with every hiccup. It became harder to breathe, harder to see, and harder to comprehend what was going on around me.

Every single person I care about is gone. Tengen...I'm sorry.

I felt numb as my body fell forward, harshly hitting the cold, hard ground. Darkness soon takes over my blurry vision, a dreamless sleep unexpectedly taking control.