aurora.

I woke just before daybreak. My neck and back were stiff and my body ached from being in my dress all night. My book was nowhere to be seen. I let out a sigh and forced myself out of the chair, the bones in my back cracking as I got up.

Virginia sat in a chair by my bed, and she got up and immediately went to my closet when she saw me. I headed for the bathroom to brush my teeth. I did that first, and then I wiped down my face. I sat patiently as she tied my bun into a careful knot. The dress from last night that I almost wore was laid out on my bed, and I took the time to carefully examine it. It was strapless and a bright shade of pink. White flowers decorated it. A spring green belt was wrapped around the waist. It was a lovely dress.

Virginia helped me put it on, and then I stepped into heels that were the same color as the belt. She carefully threaded tiny pink flowers into my bun when she finished, and stepped back to examine her handiwork.

I could see her smile in the mirror. "Beautiful, Miss. The royal families of Swendway and France won't be able to take their eyes off of you."

I smoothed my hands over the silky skirts. "Thank you," I said, and meant it. "It's beautiful. You girls have done a wonderful job."

She curtsied once. "It's my job, Miss."

"If you'll excuse me, there's someone I must go see." She nodded once and I turned, exiting my room. I walked up to the third floor, and the guards didn't give me a second glance as I passed them. I counted off the doors from the king and queen's room and rushed down the hall.

After one knock, Gabriel answered the door. He rubbed his eyes and stifled a yawn. "You came." He opened the door a little wider and walked away, and I carefully followed him in, shutting the door behind me.

Gabriel was dressed the way he was the previous night, his hair rumpled and his bed still made. "I was working all night," he explained.

"That's not good," I say. "You might fall asleep while the guests are here."

He swore, suddenly very awake. "Can you help me get ready? I completely forgot about that."

"What do you need me to do?" I asked.

"Could you pick out clothes for me while I take a shower?" He looked helpless, his eyes wide, and I nearly laughed. Rather than laugh at him, I nodded and walked towards his closet. He thanked me at least five times before I shooed him towards the bathroom. While he cleaned up, I went through his suits. I pulled out a gray suit and a white undershirt, and since we were mostly going to be outside, I pulled out a tie in a nice, bright green color.

Gabriel came out of the bathroom completely finished and dressed in his pants from yesterday. I turned away while he changed, and by the time he'd finished, the sun was completely up.

"Thank you," he said, joining me by the windows. His jacket was open and pulled back by his one arm. His hand was tucked into his pocket. "Lysel, I'm sorry about yesterday." His hand raised like he was about to touch me, but then he dropped it back to his side.

I shrugged. My chest felt hollow. "It's fine. I'm fine."

"Did he touch you?"

"Well, duh. He was holding me."

"Not like that."

"Oh." It took a minute. "Oh. No, not even close. But he was...considering it, I think."

He tensed, his hand on the curtain closing into a fist. "Did he say anything to you?"

"No."

"Are you lying?"

"You'll be angry if he did."

"I'm angry anyway. Did he say anything?"

"Yes."

"What did he say?"

"It doesn't matter, Gabriel. You killed him. He's gone." I shook my head. "Don't be angry. It happened and it's done."

He softened and turned towards me, touching the flowers in my hair. "Then why are you still thinking about it?"

"I'm not," I said.

He kissed the spot below my ear, one of his hands holding some hair that was too short for the updo to hold back "I'm sorry," He murmured. "I should've been faster." His arm slid down the back of my neck and my spine. It stopped on the small of my back and he pulled me closer so my hip pressed against his.

"Don't apologize," I said. "It's pointless for you to apologize when it wasn't your fault. You getting there a moment sooner would have changed nothing other than you having to take on all three of them on your own."

"I feel terrible," he said. "You're so distant and cold now, and it's because I wasn't there fast enough."

"That isn't it at all," I mumbled. "It's not your fault, Gabriel. I just...so much has happened. It's difficult, you know? My friend is in the hospital and I can't see her, and now I nearly got kidnapped and held for ransom or killed by rebels."

"Do you want to go home?" His voice was strained.

"I can't. Gideon is-" I let out a gasp and clapped a hand over my mouth, my eyes going wide.

Gabriel's head shot up. "Did you just say Gideon?" His eyes burned with anger. I shook my head. "What's his last name?" I shook my head again.

"Is it Kade?" I didn't answer, my heart pounding. Don't keep guessing, don't keep guessing. "Lysel, is his name Gideon Kade?"

"No," I said in a small voice. "It's Mercer. Gideon Mercer. Why? Who's Gideon Kade?"

He breathed a sigh of relief, dropping his head against my shoulder. "Gideon Kade is my best friend. He's been traveling around Illéa for a year, getting to know the country a bit. He's going to be my closest advisor once I'm king." He pressed his lips against the side of my neck. "You'll get to meet him today. He'll love you."

"And if he doesn't?" He kept kissing my neck and I grinned, trying not to laugh.

"Clara will kill him." His voice hummed against my neck. He pulled back and looked at me. "I didn't tell you, did I? I think he's in love with her."

"What?"

He laughed. "I know. It's crazy, isn't it? My cousin, the princess betrothed to a Spanish prince, is in love with some born-Seven-adopted-by-Twos future royal advisor. Before he left, they'd always randomly sneak off and come back giggling."

"That's not really imaginable," I said with a giggle.

"Tyler called it when we were younger," he explained, "and none of us believed him. I technically owe him my three favorite pens and a kiss from my future wife, but that's not going to happen." He didn't say it sadly, as I had been expecting.

I threw my head back and laughed. "A kiss from your future wife? What?"

He grinned. "We made the bet when I was...eight, I believe."

I shook my head. "What have I gotten myself into with you?"

He beamed at me and kissed my cheek. "Something absolutely and unquestionably magnificent."