Chapter 9 | Eira

Their vacation was quite clearly over, and Eira doubted it had ever even begun.

The map Themis had left on the table didn't contain a lot of information. Nadine was carefully reading everything, but Eira had seen a phrase that made her heart stop.

'A group of warlocks seems to be travelling around, attracting new members for their clause. It is possible they were in the area of the pack during the disappearance.'

And even if they hadn't been, warlocks were in control of powerful magic. Powerful enough to create portals and go anywhere they wanted. If they had set their eyes on the missing people, they had been given ample opportunity to take them away.

"It doesn't look like the usual cases Themis gives to us..."

Nadine looked at Eira with a clear question in her eyes, one she was unwilling to ask. What knowledge do you have, that you only share with Themis. Something Nadine hadn't been privy to.

"I know the people who are one of the leads."

"And."

"If they are the ones that got those kids, we're in big trouble."

Really big. Eira didn't doubt that they had only gotten more extreme as the years passed. And the last time she came across them, they were going for a human sacrifice.

-

Themis had dropped Nadine near the spot where the missing males had possibly last been. At the same time, did Eira read everything she could get her hands on. Old notes and documents, anything for clues to other bases of the warlocks.

Eira didn't doubt any knowledge she had about the group had long since become useless, as time passed and new members joined in replacement of the deceased ones. But now she needed it more than anything.

There had been a reason that Themis had sent her on that mission. Not many others had seen the warlocks as the true danger they posed, in return there was now little to no information about them. Other than what Eira herself had collected and knew to be useless.

They were in big trouble. Unless Nadine, and here Eira had little doubts about, would perform a miracle and find a trace they could follow, there was little hope those kids could be found.

"So I might have an idea what happened."

Eira slammed the book closed that she had been studying to give Nadine her undivided attention.

"There is a vague trace of magic, but as it is far from my expertise or capabilities, was I unable to follow it. But I think we can say with confidence it was that group of warlocks you were worrying about."

Nadine continued talking, adding a few more details to the story, which Eira dutifully noted down.

A picture began forming in her mind, a base she had almost forgotten about. One that could be of excellent use if one was to experiment on a vampire or werewolf. Iron all around and walls as thick as a house, no one would be able to break out of there.

Oh Eira had tried, she had tried more times than she could count. Searching to find a way in, one that would allow her to see for herself what was happening behind closed doors. The warlocks hadn't been a fan of secrecy, but that particular base was better guarded than any place Eira had seen before. Or had others heard speaking about, she doubted even Themis would have gotten inside without some supernatural help.

It was the perfect place to hide two kidnapped people from the world. Sure about the protection the fortress would provide against the prisoners, and any rescuers sent their way.

It was perfect.

Eira laid out a map to point out all the possible places they had to search. Which nice red pencil for the higher risk, but more likely places, and soft green, the colour of Nadine's eyes, for the ones Eira was almost certain were abandoned.

A soft breeze travelled across the room from where Nadine had left the door open in her haste to get back.

It was a bit too perfect.

The place Eira was quite certain about containing the missing people, was far away from any others. They would lose valuable time travelling to and from there, if she was wrong in her assessment.

The wind blew across the table scattering the notes Eira had diligently collected and spread out for the best readability, all over the room and floor.

Nadine and Eira tried to collect everything as fast and clean as possible, not wanting to disturb the order the notes had originally laid in more than necessary. Two particular pieces of paper played with the breeze, dancing all across the room before being captured by Eira.

"I know where they are."

Eira studied the map she had catched, immediately disregarding the other piece of paper which merely contained the list of potential deities the warlocks could worship. The map showed a small building, possibly abandoned, but with walls strong enough to counter many an attack.

Inconspicuous enough, so that Eira had all but forgotten about it. And at the other side of the land that the warlocks inhabited, than the place she initially had wanted to go to.

-

April 24, 2023