The proposal

Thomas impatiently bounced his leg on the floor of the carriage. He could feel Alastair's puzzled gaze at his nervousness as he put his own hand on Thomas's. Of course, he'd met Sona Carstairs before and she'd beyond loved him. So what was the problem now?

Thomas intertwined their hands before Alastair spoke, "What is the matter, Lightwood? You seem particularly out of it today. Is something bothering you, do you want to return home?"

Thomas violently shook his head, trying for a reassuring smile, "I'm alright, mi amor. Just nerves?"

At this, Alastair lifted his eyebrows so high they disappeared beyond the hair that fell on his forehead, "Nerves? Thomas, you've met her before. You've eaten with her before. What nerves?"

But Thomas was saved from having to answer when the carriage door flew wide open. They swivelled around to see Cordelia standing in the door, smiling brightly. Alastair flashed a dazzling smile as he stepped down to receive his sister.

"Layla! How are you?" He carried her in his arms as he spun her around.

Thomas felt himself calm down a little at the sight and got down, before he was attacked by a flash of blond hair, "Thomas! We've been apart for too long." Thomas chuckled as he hugged Matthew in return, embracing his friend, "Matthew, we saw each other but a week ago."

He focused on Matthew, concerned for his friend. But he needn't be, Matthew looked to be in the pink of health and with newly produced smile lines. He knew that Matthew could easily disguise his unhappiness but as Thomas stared at his face, he found the happiness genuine.

"Still too long." Both pairs parted away and Cordelia ran over to greet Thomas while Matthew and Alastair regarded each other with their usual greeting:

"Carstairs."

"Fairchild."

Though, Thomas noticed it was said with amusement. As Cordelia embraced him he could hear her whisper, "Are you ready, Thomas?"

Thomas shuddered and nodded, catching her wink as they walked in all together.

----

"Mrs. Carstairs, let me help you with that." Thomas said, scrambling up to help her with the dishes she had adorning her hands.

"Nonsense, you should go catch up with everyone, I can do this myself." She tried to retaliate but Thomas swooped up the dishes and carried them to the kitchen with a small smile on his face.

He could see Sona shake her head with a grin but followed him to the kitchen. Thomas could hear the sounds of talking mixed with the gurgling of the new baby, wafting through the air from the living room, as he and Sona started cleaning the dishes.

"How are you and Zachary doing here at Cirenworth, Mrs Carstairs?"

"Oh, we are great. Swaddled with the love of my children. Sometimes a little too swaddled. The first few months, Alastair didn't allow me to step foot outside the house with the baby, in fear something might happen." She chuckled fondly and Thomas let out a small smile.

"That sounds a lot like something Alastair would do."

"How is Alastair? He's hardly been away from home and would never admit if anything is troubling him. Are you treating him well?" she added, teasingly.

Thomas wrung the last of the dishes and faced Sona who had already situated herself on a chair in the kitchen itself, "He's happy, happier than I've ever seen him. He takes care of me and I of him so you needn't worry." This was the moment. He breathed a few shallow breaths, coming to crouch down next to Sona, "In fact, I would like to keep him safe and happy for as long as possible. Which is why I wanted to ask your permission. To....to marry him." He opened the box with a snap and could hear Sona let out a small gasp. He looked worriedly at Sona, perhaps he'd made a mistake? Perhaps her understanding of the way they loved each other only went so far.

Thankfully, Sona saved him from building up any more 'Perhaps' when she clasped the ring inside the box and smiled. It wasn't the Lightwood ring, the ring that he should've given the person he was to marry in the eyes of the Clave. It was a thick, round silver band, embedded with a single small gem. A gem that was blood red and yet seemed to illuminate whenever it was exposed to the light at different sides. It had intricate patterns to keep the gem lodged into the ring in case it got loose.

Thomas thought it was beautiful, much like the man he loved. Bright, strong and brave. He couldn't have imagined this ring would look good on anyone else.

"I always knew," Sona spoke, finally, "that my Alastair was different. I'd always find his gaze catching on wayward boys and men alike, much like mine did back when I was younger. I was scared for him, for what the Clave would do if they were to find out that he isn't normal in their standards. I was afraid that he would end up alone because surely there can't be someone out there like him.

"I knew of his relationship with Charles, of course. He is of a noble, selfless family but he was undeserving of my Alastair. He was too consumed with power. And then you came along."

She gently stroked his hair, as his mother had done when he had been younger. A motherly consideration.

"I couldn't imagine anyone that could've been better for my son. Thank you, Thomas. For loving him so fiercely, for understanding and protecting him. Thank you for seeking my permission. Nothing would make me happier than to see my son being married in Shadowhunter gold with the person he loves the most in the world. Of course, I will readily bless you both. On one condition."

"Anything." Thomas replied. He was already giddy with relief and could hardly wait to propose to Alastair himself.

Sona's face broke into a wide smile, "I'd prefer if you'd call me Sona from now on. Afterall, we are to become family."