Childhood (III)

Sabo's heart skipped a beat when he first heard it.

He was stealing whatever he could find from random sleeping homeless who had let their guard down when he heard it again. A hushed voice calling for something. Someone. The beggar who he was currently stealing from began to shift underneath him. He quickly stepped off, picked up the bag with his bounty and started to follow the voice. He should deal with it if he wanted to continue with his self-imposed task.

He certainly wasn't expecting to find some random girl moments away from passing out. Much less at the dead of night in the Terminal Gray. Where death and decease were just around the corner.

The girl had asked who he was. He didn't know if he should get involved in whatever she is in. But something at the back of his mind keep telling him he shouldn't leave a little girl on her own. Maybe the manners he kept from being a noble were the one's responsible for his reply.

"Sabo" He answered. Then he gave a cautious step forward. 'I can't let my guard down' he thought 'Maybe she is putting up an act just to steal from me' . He needed to be careful, he knew better than anyone else than to judge what a child was capable of.

'She looks like a cat' He thought. Uneasiness irradiating from her.

"Leecy" The girl -Leecy- said.  "Am looking for my brother. Have you seen him? We are twins so he kinda looks like me" Leecy muttered warily.

Sabo lightened at that, if only just a little. Neither he nor his treasure were on inmediate danger. He wondered why would a girl would be looking for her brother at the dead of night. It could be pretty dangerous. Especially on her own. 

As to answer her question. He hadn't seen any child on Terminal Gray apart from Ace in the last months. So he simply shook his head.

"Ah" Leecy visibly deflated. "Thank you, I'll get going then" She turned to leave when Sabo took her hand.

"Wait a sec! Its pretty risky right now for you to go alone" Damn his manners. "What about if you wait till morning? I'll even help you find your brother. I bet It'll be way easier with the daylight" He didn't know what he was doing at this point. Sabo mentally slapped himself.

Leecy's eyes widened and Sabo swears he saw them sparkle. He inwardly cooed at that. And just as it came, it went.  Leecy shook her head.

"Sorry! But I must decline you offer!" She straightened and bowed Sabo, doing a perfect 90° bow. "I must find him now! Its my duty as older sister to take care of him!" 

"Aren't you twins?" Sabo muttered

"We are! But am minutes older" Leecy boasted while putting her hands on her hips." Now, it was a pleasure meeting you Sabo but I need to get going" She turned to walk away while giving him one of the most charming smile anyone has ever given to him. Not even Ace.

The girl must have made something to him, because the next thing he knew was that he was following her.

Sun rays peeked thru her face. She was so comfortable, wherever she was. The last thing Leecy knew was that she was being accompanied by this boy named Sabo. She still remebers how she wanted to remark the irony of how he was dressed as a gentleman yet he was rummaging through the trash. She giggled at the thought. But she wans't going to criticize to the boy who had been nothing but nice to her.

Not out loud, at least.

As sleep slowly weared off, she rubbed her eyes and looked at her surroundings. She had slept on some wide enough tree branch.

"Hey! Are you awake?!" Someone shouted from below. Sabo.

Leecy looked down. Sleep might have worn off but the morning heaviness had her sticked to the branch. 'Like a koala' Leecy chucked.

"Good morning..." Leecy whispered. Her eyes still heavy with lazyness.

Leecy could have sworn she heard someone cooing. She picked herself up and climbed down from the tree. 

"Hey, why was I sleeping on a tree branch? I don't remeber getting up there..." Leecy asked, she must have remebered if she had climbed a tree so tall.

"That's because I carried you there!" Sabo exclaimed "We were looking for your brother when suddenly you were sleep-walking. You almost fell off a cliff!"

Leecy gave Sabo a dumbfounded look. "You saved me"

"You wouldn't be here if I hadn't" 

Tears started to gather around Leecy's eyes as she took Sabo's hands with her own "Thank you for saving my life! I owe you a  big one!" She said as she scrunched up her nose.

Now it was Sabo's turn to be dumbfounded. As he didn't know how to reply, he just changed the subject.

"Yeah,, I was just going to go meet a friend, if he's in the mood he'll probably help us search your brother."

Leecy beamed at that. She really liked Sabo, he was nothing like that feral boy back from the bandit's cabin.

"Mhn!" She nooded, eager to meet Sabo's friend. She wondered what kind of person might they be. They must be really nice if they're a friend of Sabo.

They had been walking for some time when they heard some bushes moving. Both of them turned, Sabo already ready with his pipe in hand. Sabo was getting ready to attack when out of nowhere a kid came up from the bushes.

"Leecy!" Luffy ran towards her. Leecy, who had been behind Sabo, did the same. The twins collided with each other, ending on the ground. Sabo lowered his pipe, looking at the twins with a curious look.

Leecy was fulfilled. She had found her brother and had made a new friend. She felt like nothing could ruin this moment.

"Wait-" Ace came from behind the bushes Luffy had came up from. Leecy, who was still hugging Luffy, made eye contact with the freckled boy.

She really should have seen this coming.

"Ace! What a coincidence! Me and Leecy were on our way to meet you." Sabo said. 

She really had no way to have seen this coming

Word count: 1024

A/N: sorry if sabo feels a bit ooc but I personally hc him like a type of person who would find random things adorable >><

Anyways if you find something that could be described better or have a suggestion about anything please let me know!!