an ode to opportunities.

LAURA HAS NO idea where she's going, but by the looks of it, it's the opposite of the direction towards Hogwarts

She really is a coward, running away like this.

An impertinent scowl resides on Laura's lips as she storms angrily down the street. Her ponytail is unkempt and damp from the snow, and her cheeks are flushed from both her anger and the cold.

Laura, Laura, Laura, Laura, Laura.

The aggravating grate of Regulus' voice swims in Laura's head, drowning it in utter mortification. She loathes the sound just as much as she hates Moaning Myrtle's caterwaul in the odd hours of the night, and yet the sound floods her senses in revel.

She can't fathom why her own brain is torturing her like this.

Laura whips around, deciding to go back the way she came from, but she immediately regrets it when she sees a familiar lean boy approaching her with an annoyed glare. She spins back around, pulling her sleeves over her hands and crossing her arms as she begins to quickly walk away from Regulus.

"Lovegood, you'll freeze if you keep going that way." Regulus sounds closer, and Laura immediately blankens her mind. Her thoughts aren't going to just be some open book for Regulus to root through whenever he fucking pleases.

"You're quite fast for something so small," Regulus comments, and Laura suddenly wants to disappear as she sees him fall into stride with her out of her peripheral. 

"Go away." She grits out.

Regulus rolls his eyes. "I'm not here to argue."

Laura stops in her tracks with a frustrated scoff. "Then what are you here for? To ridicule me some more? Talk to me about my fucking breed? Brag about your purity?" She turns to glare at Regulus.

Regulus' jaw clenches as he glances down at Laura. "I was going to apologize, but it seems that you've already set your head on being stubborn," He sniffs. "I do not entertain things that are blinded by petty emotion."

"Merlin! You're fucking infuriating!" Laura explodes, unfurling her arms from her body just to stick an accusing finger in Regulus' face. "You're— You're an absolute git, for no reason, and I've done nothing wrong to you!"

Regulus' upper lip curls in disgust as he swats Laura's finger away. "Lovegood, the only thing infuriating is having to hear your brain flutter incessantly with thoughtless nonsense and then watch as you get fawned over for your own stupidity. You're insufferable."

 "How is that my fault? Just tune it out, and quit being a nosy prick," Laura seethes sharply. "You call me a whore, you tell me what an utter failure I am, but I'd barely even spoken to you before Slughorn made an arse of himself by pairing me with some egotistical Slytherin who only cares about blood status. I am a kind fucking person, Black. I do not do mean things, and yet you carry on as though I've wronged you in some horrid manner."