Chapter 1 - The Flame

Lassford, North Carolina

16th of May, 2030

Daniel woke up startled. "Another nightmare" he thought.

As he stared at the window in his college apartment, he realized the sun was already up, shining brightly through his small window. After giving a quick look at the watch on his bedroom wall, he observed the clock's pointers, trying to figure out the time: 10:17. As he was already awake, he decided to head to the living room for breakfast and start the day.

As he opened the door, he was met by his best friend Bruno, behind the kitchen counter, looking attentively at Daniel's bedroom door.

- Wow bro, what happened to you? - Daniel asked, seeing his friend's hangover face.

- What? - Bruno asked innocently.

- You look like shit.

- I pulled an all-nighter. I needed to finish part of the project.

- The suit?

- Yup, the guys at the Institute asked me to finish it before tomorrow.

Daniel questioned how Bruno was so adamant about his physical state. His eyes were barely opened, his eyes bags were more visible than ever and everything that screamed Hangover was topped off by the coffee and cigarette in Bruno's hand.

Bruno moved to the sliding window in the living room and put his hand on the opening handle. He raised his cup of coffee and turned to Daniel:

- I'm gonna take this outside, wanna join me?

- Yeah, sure - Daniel replied.

- There's coffee on the countertop and the pack is on top of the cabinet - Bruno said as he opened the window door to head outside.

- You know I stopped smoking 3 weeks ago - Daniel shouted to his friend.

- We'll see how long that lasts - Daniel heard Bruno chuckle faintly from the balcony.

Daniel moved to the small kitchen of their apartment, connected to the living room with an island countertop in the middle. Their apartment was relatively basic and lacked a lot of commodities, but it was good enough for the two poor college students.

Daniel grabbed the coffee and as he looked at the cabinet on his side, he considered taking the pack with him, before dismissing the thought and heading outside.

Bruno was already sitting on the plastic chair surrounding the foldable table on their balcony. Daniel sat beside his friend and handed him a lighter.

- Thanks - Bruno said as he lit up the cigarette - I need to buy one soon.

- A letter arrived the other day - Daniel started a new topic - It was from our orphanage.

Bruno lifted his eyebrow in suspicion.

- And what did it say? - Bruno asked.

- It was an invite to their yearly reunion. Are we going?

- Fuck no, Daniel - Bruno replied with some fury in his voice - I don't wanna have anything to do with that shithole. If I put my feet on that place again it's for the sole purpose of burning it to the ground.

Daniel chuckled at Bruno's comment.

- I thought you would say that - He paused to think - then again, I don't want to go either.

- Then why the fuss about it?

- I felt like you should know they sent the letter.

- Could've burned the letter and I wouldn't care - Bruno said as he tapped his cigarette onto the ashtray - The only thing good from that place was that I met you and Anna.

Their conversation was interrupted by the soft vibration of a phone. Daniel tapped into his pocket to pick his phone up and a call from an "Anna Kal" was awaiting to be picked up or rejected.

- Speak of the devil - Daniel exclaimed before accepting the call and turning on speaker mode as he laid his phone on top of the table - Hello?

- Hi Dan, how is it going? Is Bruno with you? - Anna questioned.

- Yeah, he's right next to me. He's listening...

- Hey Anna, how are you? - Bruno got closer to the phone to greet the old friend.

- Hey Bruno, I've been better... - she exclaimed with a hint of fatigue in her voice.

- Everything ok? - Bruno questioned with concern.

- Yeah. Anatomy and Biochemistry have been destroying me from the inside, that's all.

- Is Medicine that terrible? - Daniel asked.

- It's a good major... - Anna replied - But I have been killing myself studying for a minimum grade, so...

- I understand. At least it's your last year - Daniel commented - Me and Bruno still have two more years to go on this shit.

- Three... - Bruno corrected his friend - I already have two classes to redo.

A laugh was heard from the phone.

- I can't believe you have classes to redo, Bruno - Anna regarded - I always thought you'd be the one to graduate first.

- Well, yeah - Bruno agreed - But then I found the miraculous world of drugs and alcohol. That's where shit started going downhill.

- As long as you are happy, Bruno... - Anna said - Look, I was calling to know if you guys would be down for a party at my Uni tonight. My tests ended today and I'm feeling adventurous.

Daniel and Bruno laughed in unison.

- The academic evaluations end and you immediately want to lose brain cells - Daniel joked with Anna.

- Well, that's a weird way to say "Drinking until the point I can't stand anymore".

- Will we have somewhere to sleep? - Bruno asked

- Yeah, my house is open. And ask Kelvin if he wants to come as well.

- Aight - Daniel agreed - What time do you want us there?

- Anytime you want - Anna informed the two friends.

- Alright, that's settled then. When we get out of our classes today, we'll get to your house.

- Ok then, see ya later, guys!

- See ya, Anna - The two boys said together before Daniel finally ended the call.